The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find something different to make with some vension. We already make jerky, sweet bologna, canned meat, breakfast sausage and steaks. We don't like things overly spicey. My wife likes vension but prefers beef when it comes to ground meat and burgers and such. What else do you guys make with venison?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Got a slicer? Sous vide or bake until internal temp is 130-135. Put in fridge overnight. Slice thin, put in crockpot with onion soup mix. serve warm on bun with horseradish. Disappears fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I chop mine up to chopped onion size then cook it in the cast iron (with my taco seasoning) and make tacos or taco salads. I also use ground venison mixed 50/50 with ground pork loin to make meatballs/meatloaf. With just the wife and I we need 3-4 deer a year just to cover what we would use beef for.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Trying to find something different to make with some vension. We already make jerky, sweet bologna, canned meat, breakfast sausage and steaks. We don't like things overly spicey. My wife likes vension but prefers beef when it comes to ground meat and burgers and such. What else do you guys make with venison?
If you like dry beef have some of that made. I actually have dry beef(venison) made every year from the hind quarters, my wife far prefers it over the real McCoy. I make dry beef in white gravy over biscuits and over raw fried potatoes. Can't beet it with a stick. I have the big and small fillets pulled out and have sausage and or burger made from the rest.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If you like dry beef have some of that made. I actually have dry beef(venison) made every year from the hind quarters, my wife far prefers it over the real McCoy. I make dry beef in white gravy over biscuits and over raw fried potatoes. Can't beet it with a stick. I have the big and small fillets pulled out and have sausage and or burger made from the rest.
Can't beat some good venison SOS!!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Buckfever, ground venison make much better Chili than beef in my opinion. I also make steak sandwiches from venison slices as thin as you can get it while it is frozen.

·
Administrator
28,539 Posts
If you got a couple of steaks that are too tough for anything but the grinder I'll take 'em. I'll brown 'em up in the ten inch fry pan and then add a couple of cans of mushroom soup and one can of water. Ill set the heat real low so that soup just bubbles once in awhile and let 'em cook like that for an hour to an hour and a half. That soup is gonna mix with the juices from the steaks and thicken to make a gravy that gets served over rice. This recipe also works on bear, boar, beef, cheap porkchops, and slabs of turkey breast. The long cooking process tenderizes the meat.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Check out some Hank Shaw recipes for ideas. I have his cookbook and it's pretty good also. He gets a little deluxe sometimes, but I never follow recipes anyway. I just use them for inspiration and adapt to my own liking.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

We make a lot of stuff with ground. Out of that I make meatballs, meatloaf, chili, Cincinnati chili, taco meat, and occassionally burgers. Most of that stuff I add bacon drippings for a little extra moisture.

Hindquarter roasts I like to brine and make corned venison or pastrami. Another favorite for round roasts is to slice against the grain as thin as you possibly can and marinate. From this I make stir fry, cheesesteaks, and taco meat (carne asada). All just using different marinades and quick stir frying technique.

Backstrap is obvious. Grill or sautee with a good pan sauce. Nothing fancy needed.

Shoulder/neck/shanks usually braise until it pulls apart for bbq or barbacoa tacos or just to eat with gravy over a starch.

You can cook a whole deer just with just a few techniques. Once you master the technique you can endlessly vary the flavors with different sauces and spices.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Check out some Hank Shaw recipes for ideas. I have his cookbook and it's pretty good also. He gets a little deluxe sometimes, but I never follow recipes anyway. I just use them for inspiration and adapt to my own liking.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

We make a lot of stuff with ground. Out of that I make meatballs, meatloaf, chili, Cincinnati chili, taco meat, and occassionally burgers. Most of that stuff I add bacon drippings for a little extra moisture.

Hindquarter roasts I like to brine and make corned venison or pastrami. Another favorite for round roasts is to slice against the grain as thin as you possibly can and marinate. From this I make stir fry, cheesesteaks, and taco meat (carne asada). All just using different marinades and quick stir frying technique.

Backstrap is obvious. Grill or sautee with a good pan sauce. Nothing fancy needed.

Shoulder/neck/shanks usually braise until it pulls apart for bbq or barbacoa tacos or just to eat with gravy over a starch.

You can cook a whole deer just with just a few techniques. Once you master the technique you can endlessly vary the flavors with different sauces and spices.
I just had homemade PA Dutch Pot pie(bot boi) made with a neck roast from my elk instead of beef ox tail, It was delicious and I doubt a non hunter could have told the difference.

Reactions: Mussgrass

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will get roasted for this...pun intended Haha

As far as ground meat try mixing beef and pork with your venison. Roughly 50% venison, 25% beef, and 25% pork and then grind everything together. My wife no longer complains about the burger burning or the smell. In fact my kids actually prefer this to beef.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
have the butcher slice it down like minute steaks and fry them with onions and peppers. also roast ,cook until almost done put golden mushroom soup on and finish baking

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I made dried venison a few years back. I took equal parts of Tenderquick and brown sugar and mixed them together. Then rubbed this all over the outside of some nice hunks of steak meat. Then I put them in a zip lock in the refrigerator for ten days. Every day I turned the bag over. After ten days I poured the brine off, rinsed the meat, then soaked the meat overnight in plain water. Next day I got it out and dried it good, while I got the smoker going. Then I smoked it about four hours with hickory chunks in electric Brinkman. That's the part I'm not real sure about. Last time I tried it I forgot about it, and it came out like a small black rock. Actually got this off of some guy's website years ago. It did come out real good the first time. Dark red and dried right through.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If ya have an Insta Pot put a venison roast in it just like ya would a beef roast. I put a packet of beefy onion soup mix mixed with a cup of hot water, some Red Wine and Worcestershire sauce.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
take a London broil roast or roast ,put in crock pot cover with water . cook until almost done add peas, carrots and lima beans cook until done. take out and cut up,mix back with veggies . no fuss and you can do other things while cooking . also you can add pearl onions and diced tomatoes. tastes even better reheated the next day

·
Administrator
28,539 Posts
how about some quick made stroganoff with the canned meat.
That canned venison you want to use is fully cooked, correct? If so you'll only need to cut it into appropriate size pieces and heat 'em up.
For the actual stroganoff you can use my secret recipe. My recipe is to go to the supermarket and in the same aisle as Rice-A-Roni you'll find Knorrs products in green foil envelopes. Grab two of the ones called Stroganoff, take 'em home, follow the directions, and when they're done stir in the heated venison. You can even customize it if you want to by throwing in a can of mushrooms sliced, a bit of fried onions, or some sour cream. Remember to bury the empty packages in the trash so nobody sees them and they gonna be callin' you Chef Buzzy. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I bone mine out and trim all tallow off (wife follows me with more trimming...she's picky haha). Would never take to a processor and have tallow and bone meal left on it and ruin it. (Dad would take his to a retired butcher to bone out but tell him not to freeze it so he could trim good before freezing) I turn as much as possible into roasts. Most of these can also be used later for stew, jerky, stir fry, whatever. Nice chunks that are too nice to grind, we save for stew meat. Wife HAS to have her stew meat pile. Anything left that is good I will grind for chili, etc... Some, if you like bacon burgers, I grind bacon "ends and pieces" into it for fat and smokey bacon flavor. Roasts we like to do in a slow cooker with veggies, shrooms, and a couple beef bullion cubes. Loins I do on the grill low and slow or the smoker. Tender loins are cut into medallions and pan fried in butter with onions and shrooms. Used to be my opening day evening meal at camp until I made some for my wife. Now I have to save them for HER haha. Scraps and shanks get ground, browned in a pot, and mixed with cooked rice and frozen in portions for the dogs. It becomes their "Sunday treat". Hate wasting anything so even scraps get used.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts