The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a summer sausage kit made by Eastman Outdoors.It contains cure,spices and casings.I was reading the instructions and it doesn't even mention anything about cooking??? Doesn't it need to be cooked in the casings before refrigerating? I bought a sausage kit from a different manufacturer a few years ago and I remember it had to be cooked in the casings in a pot of boiling water until it reached a certain internal temperature,but I don't remember the details.Does anybody on here know anything about this?
Bob

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Summer Sausage, like All other "Cased" Cured "Sausages" Need to be Smoked or Cooked!

Probably what is going on with your mix you bought is. The Company felt if a person was buying the Mix, they Knew How to go about using it! WRONG Thought, But some Companies are like that!!

Have you ever tried Con-Yeager Spice?
They are Great and I Always suggest them to the Beginners because they go out of their way to label Step By Step, By Step Instructions in DETAIL on How to do Everything!!

You need to go to 165 Degrees with almost EVERYTHING You make that is Cured and you will have No Problems!

Boiled isn't the Best, Smoke Heat Cured is much better and can easily be done in your oven if you do not have a smoker, just add a tablespoon of liquid smoke to 5 pounds Mix and put stuffed casings in oven set on Low with the door propped open a little,Acts just like a smoker!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts