The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a good recipe for venison ribs? I have never tried them before and decided to give them a try while cutting up my deer this weekend.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had them made in a crockpot one time and they were awesome. I would par boil them and put some bbq sauce and grape jelly on them in the slow cooker for 5 or 6 hrs

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
my buddy tried to grill some once, but he said they were nasty. They just dont have enough fat on them to make them dripping with sticky goodness like a beef or pork rib.

This guy uses everything he can from a deer, and makes his own balogna and jerkey, sausage, etc. But he said ribs aren't worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
When I was a teen, my buddy's processor would smoke them and he would leave them hanging on the back porch as long as it was cold out. You could go out there and crack one off for a snack. I made jerky from the rib meat I trimmed out one year, and it was just too much work for what little I got out of there. In both cases, all the fat possbile was trimmed out of there, since it doesn't taste good at all like beef or pork fat.

·
Administrator
28,375 Posts
Trim every bit of fat off them ribs and then boil them to get the rest of the fat off.
When you've boiled them to the point where they're nearly falling apart they'll have no nasty fat and can be baked and sauced to perfection.
Or,
Trim off everything and then use your saw to take off the top and bottom to square them up.
Now they look like a nice little picket fence that's bowed inward. Grab both ends and turn them inside out until they make a full circle and tie them.
Stand them up in a roasting pan and fill the enclosure you've created with chunks of roast or your favorite venison meatloaf mix. Bake as you would any roast or meatloaf and when done put the whole thing upright of the serving platter and you've got "Crown Roast of Venison".
Slice right between the ribs and enjoy each portion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts