The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I grabbed the last bag of meat from last winter and turned it into a pot of chili. Lacking the grinder I diced the meat into 1/2" cubes and browned them off in a large pot, sweated some onions, garlic, fresh peppers from MIL's garden and some celery, then added the rest of my seasonings and some beef broth. It got me thinking...I usually do my chili with ground because it's more convenient...but after tasting the texture and flavor of whole meat - I will be doing this from now on. The only one in the family that doesn't like steak chili won't eat the venison anyway...so it's of no consequence to anyone else how the deer chili is cooked
My boys LOVE it...the two year old is asking for more hot sauce in it. Gotta love 'em

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't use steak, I use cubes or pieces. I don't get my venison ground so all the stuff that isn't in the cuts goes for chili or stew cubes.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I use both. I like the ground for the thicker chili and I like getting a few chunks of steak in each bite. Sometime I'll even slice up my homemeade deer sausage really thin and toss that in. My chili usually consists of the following.

Ground venison
Venison cube
Sliced sausage
Onions
Peppers
mushrooms
garlic
beef stock
tomato paste
cumin
chili powder
salt
pepper
NO BEANS!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
X2 on both. Ground for giving it that chili conistencey and chunks of meat to chew. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Try adding pepperoni, sliced or diced, adds a little kick!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
repsagA29 said:
Try adding pepperoni, sliced or diced, adds a little kick!
I'll give that a shot. Chorizo is great too.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmmm...chorizo...

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I add ground hot sausage to mine and leave the deer as chunks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use only ground. But I have tried hot italian venison sausage instead of ground sausage. I never liked the cubed meat in chili. That chorizo idea sounds great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts