The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the recipes you guys are using to make Venison breakfast sausage?

·
Super Moderator
13,014 Posts
I grind mine in to patties mixed with Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans sausage of different flavors..It was become a favorite of some family member who did not eat venison.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I grind mine in to patties mixed with Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans sausage of different flavors..It was become a favorite of some family member who did not eat venison.
Sounds interesting. What is your mix ratio?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Con yeager #76 I think is the number I've used.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Grind with bacon,sage, fennel and garlic powder. I don’t measure. This is made fresh and then cooked right away

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
One lb ground pork or venison, you can use regular fresh pork sausage, either taken out of the casing or buy it lose.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 to 1/4 dried red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds, I use a mortar and pestle
1/4 tsp MSG (Accent)

Feel free to add or subtract the ingredients to your taste but try the recipe first before you change anything.
Mix well with your hands, knead and squeeze till evenly mixed
place in small bowel and cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge over night. I mix mine in the morning and make the sausage gravy the next morning either raw fried potatoes and onions or over biscuits. We like it better than commercial breakfast sausage.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
www.waltonsinc.com
Holly Regular Pork Sausage or #147 Pork Sausage Seasoning
Mix Venison with 30% ground pork. (70/30 ratio)
Really good stuff.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Grind 3/4 deer meat to 1/4 pork fat (might be closer to 2/3 to 1/3). I get the fat from Redners Market. Call the meat dept and reserve. In a bowl mix sage, fennel seed, rosemary, salt, pepper and a little brown sugar. Grind fat and meat together and mix well and mix in spices a little at a time as you go. I always make about 10 lbs at a time. I let it sit in the fridge overnight and cook some the next day to see if you need any spice additions before freezing.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
7 lb venison, 3# fatty pork trim
3 1/2 oz salt
1 cup water
2T sugar
black pepper, cayenne (optional), sage to taste

That is it!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Google "Larry Moyer's Breakfast Sausage", you will thank me later. I use 1/3 bacon ends ground in with trimmed venison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts