The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a velvet rack from a deer farmer (last yrs rack) and was wondering if it was ok to bring in the house w/my mounts. Ive heard it can carry small bugs that will ruin capes. Is this true and if so what can i do to the rack to make it safe?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hopefully the antlers have been kept frozen since taken off the head by the farmer. If not, the velvet is probably rotten. Your nose will tell you if that is the case.
If it has been frozen the velvet will need to be treated. There are some velvet treatments that taxidermists use. Personally, I prefer freeze drying. Either way, untreated velvet will be bug food in a short time and it will contaminate everything in your house. Get it treated and preserved before you take it into your house.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
You could also strip the velvet off and have fake velvet applied, it's kind of like flocking you see on the new waterfowl decoys. A friend of mine had that done to a couple caribou and it looks very real. It's pricey though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It hasnt been frozen apparently just in a barn since last summer. Its not at all smelly, the velvet is perfect not nasty at all.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Then it was obviously late velvet with very little blood left in it. If the antlers are hard underneath it might be fine to bring inside but watch for signs of dermestid contamination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts