The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, All of the forums that I post on seem to think this buck is in velvet. Here is the full set of him. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My first impression wasn't that it was in velvet. Looks more to me like his points have been broken off or, if it was a penned deer that escaped, cut off.

Jayson's correct on the possiblity of an antlered doe or buck with missing or injured testicles that may have caused them to form differently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basdjs said:
My first imprression wasn't that it was in velvet. Looks more to me like his points have been broken off or, if it was a penned deer that escaped, cut off.
The neighbor farmer does actually have deer and bear and other animals penned up and occasionally get out. But his deer has huge white tags in their right ear and almost impossible to fall out. Will have to give him a call to see if he lost one. I have helped him tranquilize a few in the past that escaped.They never made it this far over. And I know he has never cut the antlers. Getting on the horn with him now. Never even gave that one a thought, Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not one of his deer. All accounted for.

·
Super Moderator
1,327 Posts
I don't think he is in velvet and may just still be carrying his antlers. I saw a couple here 2 weeks ago and another this week that still had both sides.

·
Super Moderator
26,949 Posts
Many of the roe deer bucks here in Germany are already out of velvet by this time of year, particularly the older ones.
Really tripped me out the first time I saw that and realized that they are his new antlers.

Not that that has anything to do with the deer in these pics, though.

It s a bit hard to tell from these pics, but I suppose anything is possible.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks like busted antlers that haven't dropped yet. Not a big deal. If he still has them during trout season, then there is probably something wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hard to say. Looks to me like he is still carrying last years. I have a buck that beds behind my place. He dropped his left antler three weeks ago, but is still holding onto his right as of last night.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I saw 8 bucks running together on Tuesday, 3 still had antlers including a 120" 8 point, and the rest had shed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts