The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put a varmit scope on a 30-06 or will the recoil mess the scope up?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
You'll be fine as long as the scope is of reasonable quality. The question is is the lowest power setting low enough for the things you will actually use an '06 for?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Id try and find a more reasonable scope for an '06. 9x is more than enough magnification for PA whitetail hunting if thats what you do.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Varmit scope or whatever if it's of some quality should be ok. Like already said low end power might be to much to be workable. Maybe your hunting around big fields or something but 3x9x40 is plenty for our neck of the woods....later

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have known several guys that put 6x24s on a deer rifle
because they thought it would make them better shots.
Eventually they switched to 3x9s or 4x12s, bigger scopes
are heavier, and you bang them up in the woods.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had to put a 6-24x42 on my 30-06 so I can count the points of a bucks rack at 200+yds. to make sure it's legal.
Also have a 8" reflector still in the box to mount for when they come up with hair restrictions and the buck has to have 1.75" scrotum hairs.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I spent one season years ago with a straight 6 power Bushnell on my deer rifle. Only one year and I learned my lesson. Back to the 4X's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Burris 4x16 on my 06 for deer hunting in PA. My other 06 has a burris 2.5x10 on it. If I were to do it over the first 06 would have a 2.5x10 on it. Maybe someday it will..Jeff

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Most varmint scopes are big and heavy..If you hunt on flat open country it would be good but if you hike miles uphill into the backcountry you will be ready to buy a lighter smaller scope..

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a 6x24 Tasco Varmit scope. So yea the 6 power would be workable for pa whitetail where I would use the '06. If I'm doing close quarters hunting, thats the the iron sights on the 30-30 are for.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Go with a basic 3-9...unless your making 400 yard shots with the '06

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont get in on any jazz that high magnification leads to better accuracy. It doesnt. point of impact is point of impact regardless of how hard you zoom in.

·
Registered
984 Posts
For deer hunting theres no need for anything higher than 12x in my opinion. When hunting, my scope at all times is at 4 or 5. With a higher magnification, you see more movement with yourself. With a 9x, a deer at 100 yards is dead to rights and youre own personal error or steadiness is minimal enough to when you get the crosshairs on the vitals it will hit. If you have a 20x scope zoomed in at 100 yards, its harder to hold steady unless you have a sturdy rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts