The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a hunt sat I knocked down two ducks..the dog brought the first one back about a 50 yard retrieve in the river, when he got to shore i was worried he would tire on the second so i got in the boat. and the darn thing was gone..at last sight it was seen flapping on the river, and out of range. it was 30 seconds later and i scoured the river and no sight of it anywhere. any chance it sunk? i wouldnt think so but it was dissappointing for sure. i went about a half mile down river and nothing showed up. i searched the shore and everything. Maybe a big mon river catfish had lunch

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've seen them dive when only wounded, and swim a long way underwater.. sometimes I'd find them hundreds of yards away. other times it's like they go down to ol' davey jone's locker and never come back... I've also seen them "glide/swim" juuuust under the water surface, so only thing above water is their bill, then swim a loooong way.... I'd venture to say one of the above scenarios may have happened...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
some ducks will go under water & clamp/bite onto vegetation to drown themselves when hurt & pursued.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My first time duck hunting, and the first duck I ever shot in my life (drake black duck) hit the surface of the water and never came back up. We searched for a while and it was nowhere to be found. When we were wrapping up the hunt and cleanin up the decoys later we ended up finding it. It must've gotten caught up in an underwater root system or a deadfall under the water, and the current or some other force eventually set it free. Sometimes they just...get away. Like Killin'Time said I've followed cripples in a canoe swimmin around underwater before for a pretty remarkable amount of time.

And to test one of my theories, any chance the bird that got away was a Hen? Just from my limited amount of experience with cripples, and with shooting hens(
just kidding), I've noticed that they are far more resilient and have a much higher drive to escape the danger after being injured than are the drakes. My theory is that it is innate in hens since they are largely responsible for the continuance of the species...

Anyway, that [censored] but it happens to the best of us. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it was the hen..a woodie did this once in a root system, i was afraid my dog would get this collar hung up and i couldnt feel it anywhere. i guess it happens, [censored] but it happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
They will swim an inch or so under the water with
Iittle or no wake, especially in currents and high winds. They are dead, just don't know it until a hundred yards or so later.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I shot a woody in a small creek 50 or 60 yds wide knee deep, nocked him down about 30 yds upstream saw him swim toward the bank and go under.the water was low and very clear as I started to watch for him to pop up I caught a movement in the wated a few feet ahead of me, he was swiming downstream just a few inches below the surface, he was passing by 2 feet from my knee, I was lucky to be able to grab him as he went by, would never happen in another million years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts