The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Va's rifle season was a success for me so far! Season came in Saturday 11/14/2015. I saw a spike and doe fawn that day. Sunday I shot a doe and saw another spike. Monday morning I shot a nice size doe then had to run my brother in law up to Pocomoke cause he was having a allergic reaction to the pines for some allergy meds.

Then Tuesday morning I shot another doe and later that morning my brother in law shot 2 doe

Then Wednesday 11/18/2015 it happened! But before I get to that I'm gonna rewind two weeks to the first week of muzzleloader season. It was early morning, I was walking to my stand in the dark. I made a turn in the trail and that's when it happened! The biggest buck I've ever seen in my life charged me!! I screamed like a little girl and the buck stopped short of impaling me with his huge rack at just 3yds! I had my muzzleloader in my hands like a club and he was standing just 3yds away grunting at me. In my best stern voice that I could muster with my boys in my throat I told him "get outta here". He turned and started to walk away. In case he thought of charging again I put a primer in my rifle and as I closed the action it made a loud "click". That's all he needed to hear and he was gone! He had come from a clearcut and from other hunters I've been told he hardly ever leaves the clearcut so I named him the "Clearcut King" due to his shear size.

Fast forward 2 weeks to the first Wednesday of rifle season. I had just got done relieving myself into a Gatorade bottle and put that away. It was a little after 9 and my mind starting drifting to where I'd hunt that evening. I heard a limb snap over my left shoulder and I turned to see a buck casually walking right to me at 45yds. I slowly took my rifle off the bow arm it was hanging on and popped the safety off. I looked at him through the scope and saw it was a rack buck so I knew I was gonna shoot it so I stopped looking at the rack. The buck continued to walk straight at me and I didn't want to take a frontal shot. At 28yds he turned slightly to go around a tree and exposed his neck/far shoulder. The next thing I knew the rifle had spoke and the buck dropped in his tracks at 27.5yds

I was watching him through the scope to make sure he didn't get back up and I realized who I had just shot, it was the "Clearcut King"! He was going from one clearcut(the one we had our encounter at) to another clearcut that was on a bordering property. I was sitting on the boundary rd between our property and 30yds from the neighbors. If the buck went another 60yds I wouldn't of been able to shoot him. Lucky for me I was in between the clear cuts and intercepted him!
It took me over 45 minutes to drag him 200yds up to a hard rd where I could get him with the tractor. When I got him back to camp and weighed him, I couldn't believe my eyes! The scale said 241lbs

By far my heaviest and largest rack buck to date!

I'm 5'11" and weigh 230lbs!

I shot him with a Ruger rifle chambered in 338 Federal. The round was a 200gr Federal Fusion that I dug out of his left shoulder bone. I blew up the phone lines and am just as excited about it as I type this as I was when I walked up to him. They think he is only 5yrs old. I haven't had the rack scored yet cause I could care less what he scores! The memories of this great deer and the size of him made him a trophy in my book!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow. Awesome buck and even better story. I would probably have been going back to camp and changing. That's one you'll never forget. Congrats!

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
That is a great buck anywhere. Congrats to you!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Congrats! What part of Virginia? I'm in Northern VA. in Loudoun Co.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts