The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on making a decision. I am deciding between a Rhino 700 or 450 or a Polaris 500 X2. I want it primarily for snow plowing and as work vehical for my 10 acres. My driveway is about 800 feet with a good hill in it. I will use it for placing treestand and a little firewood hauling. I also have a camp with a lot of atv trails.

The money is not the deciding factor but I do not want to spent more than necessary.

The first question is am I better off withthe atv or the utv and ifthe answer is the utv do I need the 700 or is the 450 enough machine for plowing. I do trail ride a little but i do more work than trail riding. I also have two young hunters that wil also be using the machine in the future.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
952 Posts
Depending on the trails the UTV may be to wide, I have a 700 X2 and I love it, great for plowing but the dump box is only good for carrying smaller things like I carry a chain saw, gas can and oil, that being said if you plan on doing more work than play I would get the UTV - the 450 will be enough for plowing but bigger is always better

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I just bought a new quad last fall. Right now...Im kicking myself for not going the SxS route.

I really like the Kawasaki Teryx NRA Edition...sweet setup

But Im stuck with what I have for now...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a grizzly 660 and the park I used to work at had a rhino 450. For work the rhino was great, better hauling and was very nimble on the trails.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Not to repost...but I just got back from a 5 hour ride with 8 UTV's and 2 quads.

I was the odd man out...as I was 1 of the 2 quads.

I wish I would have went the UTV route...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. It looks like a UTV is the way to go.

Anyone have any input on the size. I am looking at the Rhino. Isthe 450 big enough or is it worth it to upgrade to the 700?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
after riding a quad and a side by side. get as much as you can in cc wise or else you will be feeling like you are being held back. depends also on how much you like speed. most of em have the gearing to make the lil engines pull like a bigger one. but the get up and go in hi range will be limited in a smaller sized motor. both will get you where you need to go but that right foot or thumb pushing the throttle and that power puts smiles on peoples faces. even the ones that claim a smaller quad will serve their purposes just fine. test ride a few and see which ones you are going to like. getting a utv is just like getting a car or truck. a buddy bought a teryx and did not ride in one long or even sit in one long and he hated the way the seats felt. after a few months he sold it just because he was uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
one of the guys that was riding with us yesterday had the Rhino 400 and it was underpowered for the most part.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a mule 610. I'm very happy with it and I'm glad I bought this instead of a quad.

·
Registered
831 Posts
PL I was in your situation until I bought my 500x2. I have about 100 miles on it an love it. I have rode a lot of of side by sides and don't like the older rhino's because of the airbox noise, plus they didn't feel sporty enough. I liked the razr better. Plus the Rhino being wider brought issues in getting around some trails. As far as the bed in the Rhino it holds more than the x2 but I have a small trailer that worked out great for hauling firewood over the weekend. Only issues I have with the 500x2 is power, while low range will take me up any hill I want I wish I would have found a 800x2. Also the quad is not the most precise turning quad out there because of the weight and extra length. Electric steering would be a plus. But again the Rhino don't have that either. Would I trade mine for a Rhino? no, I think I have more fun on a quad than a side by side.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the 660 which was before the 700. I tested both the 660 and 450. I went with the 660 and could not be happier. The 660 did seem to ride a bit better as well and was a bit more powerful.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
i have a 660 and a 700, both great machines. got rid of my quads and would not trade back. the rhino can haul more and are more enjoyable to ride. seems like you don't have to work as hard driving them, plus it's nice to have someone beside you carrying on a conversation while enjoying the ride.
i have ridden with the 450's and while they do get the job done, they are under powered when they have any load in them. the top speed is about 5mph slower if that matters.
i would go with the 700. it's cheaper to buy it first than to buy the 450....not like it... sell it for a loss then buy the 700.
keep in mind, you have a list of things you would like to do with it, that list will grow once you get one . you will want to haul more wood or bigger loads, put a back seat and haul 4 people etc...thats when you will kick yourself for buying the 450.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to thank everyone for there input. I believethat I am going to buy Rhino 700. I will let everyone know what i think once I get a chance to use it a little. All of your input was extremely helpful

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have a 500 Artic cat 4x4 atv with 6000 miles. And I now have a Rhino, the cat is only ridden in Mo when I go turkey hunting. We enjoy the rhino sooo much more. Everyone can jump in and all go for a ride ( all 5 of us) And it is a workhorse around the house nd farm.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also have a rhino 660 . I tested a 700 before I bought it. The 700 being fuel injected was a little quieter but I settled on the 660 and have not looked back since. I drive a older 440 at the farm I help out on and it has seen many miles and isn't kept up very well and it still runs and starts and does everything we want it to do. Go with a Rhino you won't be unhappy.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Everyone

I got the Rhino 700 and it is awesome. It is great for work as well as trail rides. It has gotten more work done at my place than I ever thought. I am glad I went with the 700

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not sure but I have done 45 mph on a dirt road and I was not even close to having the accellerator all the way to the floor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts