The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever change their oil every other year? Or is this a real bad idea. I do about 250 miles a year.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This will be my first year and I haven't really put enough time on the ATV to require an oil change, but I am going to change the oil and filter anyhow. Changing oil is a cheap way to keep your machine in good condition, especially on the air cooled 4 stroke engines. If you drove where there is a lot of dust or sand an oil change is good insurance.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Very good point.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Plus it also depends if you run it long enough to burn off the moisture and condensation.If you have a lot of short hops you would need to increase your change interval.
i service forklifts for a living and short trips are engine killers. I have several customers that average less than 10hours in 6 months. That is ok if it is used twice a month for an hour each time but used every day for 5 minutes is very bad. The oil will drain out looking like heavily creamed coffee. It will be thick, very similar to what oil from an engine with head gasket failure looks like. Over time the bottoms of the cylinders will pit along with accelerated wear on the bearings. I can only imagine what that condensation would do to the wet clutch/transmission of the average atv.

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
Look on Amazon and EBay for good deals on oil filters. I have 4 Suzuki’s that all use the same Fram 6018 filter. I buy them in an 8-pack for about 1/2 price one would pay to buy them at Walmart. One side note, I’ve used regular 10-30 weight automotive oil for 20 years in these quads. The oldest is 20 years old. Collectively they have 38,000 miles. The specs call for using motorcycle type oil for wet clutches , but these machines have run fine on the Rural King $1.59 a quart stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts