The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Need some help.

We just got the water bill for our camp. Our camp is in a town, and the water bill has been $20/month ($240/year) since 2010 when it was 15$/month, regardless of usage (not metered water usage)

The new bill came in and it is for $390 for the year. The bill clearly states that residents of the borough will continue to pay $20, but that business and camps will now pay $32.50/month

How is that possible? We use less than 1/10th the water year round residents do. All of our properties are zoned the same (residential).

Can it be legal for the utility company to charge one residential property one fee and another residential property next door a different fee when it is not based on utility usage?

This [censored]! An extra $50/year for each of the 3 owners, and I spend maybe 15 days there a year.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I'll bet what they are doing is trying to make up the difference in the taxes they don't get out of seasonal dwellings that they get out of full time residences. You might be "zoned" residential, but I bet you are being taxed at seasonal rate. If that is the case, you may want to get the figures before you make your decision on whether or not you are a camp.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I live in an area where there are alot of camps/seasonal dwellings. I know that the electric company charges the part-timers more per kilowatt than they charge the full time residents.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sure doesn't seem right. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a small town stuck it to the seasonal owners. Seasonal property owners don't get to vote against the local politicians that put this stuff in.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Never heard of a "seasonal tax rate"? The county assesses the properties and collects the taxes through a local tax collector. But our township tax collector only does township/county RE taxes. The school district handles their own school RE taxes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we pay property taxes as well. This new bill makes it almost not worth it. 9 hour drive, $130 (my share) for the water bill alone makes it almost $10 a day that I use it....

I wouldn't think that would be legal. If it were metered I could see a different rate, since they still have to send someone out to read the meter without the income coming in from usage. But this is a flat monthly rate. Always has been.

I don't get it....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Marylands power companies are known for that..One month 50 dollars the next month 350 dollars..People contact them and they say we are trying to save the chesapeake bay..They rob the people and say its all for the bay..It is a SCAM all along..Your best bet is call them and tell them you are getting rid of your electric and switching to windmills for electric..TELL THEM you are also just trying to save the BAY..Good Luck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts