The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the required training to apply for a concealed firearms permit for the state of Utah? I was reading that they have reciprocity agreements with 30 other states. Are there any training classes around central PA that qualify you for the Utah permit? What is involved with the class?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Here is a list of training possibilities in PA which is published on the Utah site.

I believe you can do the same thing through FL.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did see that list. It looks like the Florida license is easier to get. A hunters Safety card will qualify you from what it looks like.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Utah $62.25 to apply $10.00 to renew valid for 5 years.
Florida $117 to apply $107 to renew valid for 7 years.

The Utah permit is the better bargain however you have to take the training class which is around $100 Florida will accept a PA hunters safety class as acceptable training.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A group got together in Boalsburg and had the Utah class done there. Check out Pa. FireArms Owners website

mark61

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
My son who lives in Fla just checked on getting a permit, his DD 214 (Military discharge) will qualify him for the permit & he will not have to take the class. This was about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Be advised... We took our Utah class in April and received our permits in August.They process about 400 permits a day and receive about 800 per day. Do the math. I hope this helps. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
PANRA said:
Has anyone taken the required training to apply for a concealed firearms permit for the state of Utah? I was reading that they have reciprocity agreements with 30 other states.
How can I find out what those 30 states are?

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Florida permit looks like a better deal as far as coverage. It costs more however there are other credentials that can qualify you towards the training class. The license is good for 7 years and the cost of the license works out to a little less than $17 a year which isn’t too bad.

<span style="color: #3333FF">ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
because it cannot be returned.
2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
<span style="color: #FF0000">• Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state</span>
• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
• Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
• Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
license has been revoked for cause;
• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
Association-certified firearms instructor.
The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor’s name,
signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.</span>
Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thanks for the information, Guys!

Looks like I will probably apply for the Florida license.

HEY, I just checked Florida and there are 4 states that only honor FLA CCW for RESIDENTS(of FLA): They are: CO,SC,NH,MI!
FLA See (4)

Therefore, I think I will get the UTAH license! May take a little more time, but less money in the longrun and honored by more states.

·
Registered
646 Posts
RutNut said:
Thanks for the information, Guys!

Looks like I will probably apply for the Florida license.

HEY, I just checked Florida and there are 4 states that only honor FLA CCW for RESIDENTS(of FLA): They are: CO,SC,NH,MI!
FLA See (4)

Therefore, I think I will get the UTAH license! May take a little more time, but less money in the longrun and honored by more states.
RUTNUT,
CO, NH and MI recognize PA's LTCF.

SC only recognizes resident license holders from 16 states, Pennsylvania not included.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are currently 24 states that honor PA concealed permit.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It would be nice if there was a national license however chances are slim to nun with the current government.

·
Registered
646 Posts
RutNut said:
Man this stuff is confusing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help!
goosetracker said:
There are currently 24 states that honor PA concealed permit.
Plus Pennsylvania and Vermont (none required) for a total of 26.

Utah will add eight more for a total of 34:
Alabama
Delaware
Minnesota
Mississippi
New Mexico
Nebraska
Ohio
Washington

Florida will add seven (to the original 26) for a total of 33
Alabama
Delaware
Kansas
Mississippi
Nebraska
New Mexico
Ohio

Other than the price difference, are you more likely to go to Kansas (FL CWL) or to Minnesota and Washington (Utah CWP)?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thanks Chuck- now I have to figure out if it's worth it to me to pay the $$$ to be able to carry in an additional 7 or 8 states!

They REALLY need to come up with a law to cover the entire 50 states!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Rutnut, Just like ChuckS stated, our class was four hours long and required no shooting. Cost was 120.00 which included fingerprinting. Additional cost was two pictures plus 67.50 to the state of Utah. If your are in the western Pa area, contact Mike at 330/502/3707 He is a very good instructor and will take care of all of your needs. Doc in Pa.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts