The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm officially sick of using replay to decide calls in both Baseball and Football. I'm watching the Phillies vs the Braves and a call is challenged by the Braves at first base. The player was ruled safe. They review the play at the Braves request. After review the ump gives the safe sign and the play by play guy says, the play stands. It is not confirmed, it stands.

Huh? Isn't that the same thing? Maybe not. I don't know. Same with football. I don't know what a catch is anymore and neither do the players, the refs, the coaches. Nobody knows except some nameless, faceless guy who makes the decision. I say go back to the old way. End replay to decide the calls. Let the officials call the game and let the arguing begin. It was more fun that way anyhow.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There wasn't enough(clear) evidence to overturn the call on the field on the review. So the call on field stands. (I think same with hockey) Can't help on football I gave that up when all those college guys take a half an hour(or more) to play 2:00

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't care about the call going one way or the other. I just think the use of replay to decide calls is not necessary. The game of baseball was around for over a hundred years without it and it did just fine.

Same with the rule changes about take out slides and blocking home plate. A big name guy gets hurt and the powers that be want to change the rules.

Now, the NFL is talking about making the goal post narrower.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Next they will change home plate to safe space. And first base will be changed to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 1st on a per inning rotation. Then none of them will feel inferior, and each gets a shot at being 1st.

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't like that one either Ron. There was no way that guy was gonna catch that ball. But here's the thing that really irks me, it's their own fan that interferes with the play. Should have been ruled a foul ball.

Not only that but he's allowed to stay in the stadium. If he interferes with the play he should have been kicked out.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
IMO, the replays get it right...so what's wrong with that. Having a game decided by a bad call stinks when it can be corrected with todays technology.

Umpires and referees can only call what they appear to see, which is often wrong. I'll take getting in right any day. FT

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it first started I felt the same way, get the call right, but after waiting 5 minutes or more for some calls to be decided I've had it. Especially in football. The players themselves admit they don't know what a catch is anymore. Nobody knows, except the mysterious anonymous official.

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's another one......Remember the first time you heard the term "Football Move." I think everybody watching looked at the person he was watching the game with and said the same thing. "What's a football move?" "Isn't everything move they make a football move?"

Back to the football catch. They go to the booth and break it down frame by frame in slo-mo, rewind, break it down again, then make the ruling. Make the call on the field and that's it. Keep the game moving. The human element is removed from the game.

I miss the arguments between the managers and the umps. Billy Martin looking like his head was gonna explode. Earl Weaver kicking dirt on home plate going nose to nose with the ump. Charlie Manuel getting tossed and the crowd screaming, Charlie, Charlie......the fans giving him a standing "O" as he's heading to the locker room. Those were the days. Sniff, sniff.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The biggest beef I have... they complained games were too long. This replay stuff seems to make them even longer.

As for the left field interference out a couple of days ago, it stank that a home fan could cause the away team to get an out. That rule needs tweaked a bit.

But that Fan can now say he made a major league out for his team.

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
It's all part of our over-legislated, over-lewyered, over-governed, over-politically correct lives. Everything has to be examined, investigated, verified and agreed on so that nobody feels cheated. Soon all professional sports teams will be given "Participant" trophies just like the kiddies get for showing up at a weekend soccer game.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I agree. Yep, it slows the games down at times and in defense of the officiating crew(they usually make the correct call in "real time" high speed situations). I got a perfect example to see this the past couple days at the Little League World Series. Italy's 2nd baseman turned a beautiful double play but the runner was ruled safe as it appeared from the base umpire's angle that the fielder had pulled his foot off before the ball arrived. Replay from a different angle in slow motion showed he hadn't so the call was overturned. Glad for the youngster as he'd travelled from the opposite side of the world make that play. Good arguments on both sides of this one.
Freytown said:
IMO, the replays get it right...so what's wrong with that. Having a game decided by a bad call stinks when it can be corrected with todays technology.

Umpires and referees can only call what they appear to see, which is often wrong. I'll take getting in right any day. FT

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
There's no good reason for games to hinge on poor calls---look at the guy who lost a perfect game, or the time the Pirates nailed a runner by 3 feet at home, but they called him safe--in the 19th inning!!!

I miss the entertainment of the manager arguing a call too, but the fact is, I NEVER saw a call made right as a result. Replay does that.

·
Registered
39,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't disagree with your post. However, it's gotten to the point where, in the NFL, nobody really knows what a catch is. Who decides this stuff? When reviewing a catch I've heard the announcers say something like, "Harry, I think I saw the ball move just a little bit when he was going to the ground, I don't think he had full control." Huh? The ball moves a micro millimeter, that can only be seen in frame by frame slo-mo and they are gonna rule no catch?

"A football move?" What the heck is that? I still don't know and I watch 4-5 games a week during the season.

In MLB, if a team is out of challenges they can still ask the ump for a review and most times they get it. Why have a limit on challenges at all?

If we're gonna get every call right then the should review balls and strikes too. After all, why should a team lose a game because the umps strike zone is all over the place?

I know nothing is gonna change because of my rant but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I like the idea of getting the call "right" but disagree with the part that ONLY that part of the play is reviewable. While looking to see if a runner is in bounds or has control of the ball there may be an obvious clip or eye gouging or someone stomping on a players face but that is not the part of the play in question?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The part I hate is if your running the ball over the goal line it only has to be a millisecond touch, if you catch it takes ten minutes, two federal judges, a supreme court ruling to be called a touchdown..Heinz caught one and rolled twice over twice while in complete control and he released the ball himself, no catch...rediculous!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts