The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two climbers I was thinking of converting. They were the first stands I bought, found out climbing doesn't work that well for me. I spooked several deer while climbing last year and my son doesn't like to use them either. I picked up two ladder stands on sale last month and thought the climbers could supplement them as hang ons in the small patches of woods that we hunt.

First stand is an really old summit, I think it's steel rather than aluminum and it has a waist belt it's so old. It's a stable stand in the tree but clankity clank walking and climbing and heavy as a box of rocks. I was planning on making this stand a permanent hang on in one spot for the season.

Second one is an old loggy bayou with the metal band. It's easier to manage but also makes too much noise. Not as much the stand itself but the climbing aid on the part where it fastens the pins. I was thinking of taping the arms up to soften the noise but didn't want to make it too thick to interfere with adjustments. I was thinking of keeping this one mobile somewhat and either moving it around or taking it with me for other areas for climbing. Anybody else have noise issues with the climbing aid or am I just doing it wrong?

Never really set up or hunted out of a hang on. Both stands are very stable once in the tree and in overall good shape with minimal rust that will be taken care of as soon as spring is here. I'm most concerned about fasteners. I was assuming ratchet straps but have also seen hang ons with chains. As far as steps I have permission to use screw in steps but saw one members pictures from a fall while climbing a year or two ago
Figured climbing sticks or strap on steps. I've read and searched on the forums but having used neither I not sure. Want to keep it fast and light while setting up and reasonably secure to keep someone from walking out with anything easily.

·
Registered
957 Posts
fishkrane said:
I've used then like that,I keep it securly fastened with a ratchet strap.
Same here...make sure you use a ratchet strap or two so the stand dose not shift when you step on to it...

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
kudu52 said:
fishkrane said:
I've used then like that,I keep it securly fastened with a ratchet strap.
Same here...make sure you use a ratchet strap or two so the stand dose not shift when you step on to it...
Agreed.

I also use old ladder stands as the "ladder" to access them. This gives you a good place to stand to step onto the actual stand you're hunting from.

As I replace ladder stands, I'm getting them with bigger platforms for more comfort. I then use the ones with the smaller platforms and set the hanger/old climber level with the top of the ladder (the seat part) and I can step straight across to the stand I'm sitting in. Also a great place to set your gear, too, depending on if it can be in a convenient location.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
yep, I do it with old (good condition stands). My first climber was a Baker in 1970. It was shot, just worn out..I burned it. Be sure to check those old stands for worn bolts, rivets, straps of rusted welds.

I use climbing sticks and hide them in the brush close to the climber/hang on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts