The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I'm new to the in-line's so I do a lot of internet reading. And at times that's good....and at times....not so much.

But I've come across a few post on some forum's that have babbled about using a cut down 22 hornet brass, along with (and I assume the Hornet uses SR primers) in place of the shotgun 209 primers.

In fact, this Web Site babbles about using a modified 22 hornet case, but then goes on to tell you how much they will charge you to modify your breach plug to accept 25acp cases.

I don't know why you would want to do that.....if the 22 Hornet is free?? Or since the 209's are even "more free".

Anyone hear about this....or have any experience....or is this a diaper full?

SW

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I remember reading a bit on a forum somewhere about an adapter or breech plug that utilizes an empty 25 auto case instead of a 209. The idea of using a center fire primer to ignite black powder for a muzzle loaded bullet actually came about around the time of the civil war. The maynard rifles went through a rapid evolution, even using center fire type cases with a percussion cap directly over the hole. By the late 1800's Harry Pope was making rifles in which a centerfire case full of powder was inserted under a bullet loaded from the muzzle and fired that way.

There are also adapters that use 22 blanks to ignite the charge.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Your welcom Seth.All that Hoop-La was to keep the breech plug clean.They figured the hot primers was too much and it was leaving a crud ring in the plug.My advise(again,LOL)stick with Blackhorn 209 powder.The stuff is incredible.Beyond believe accuracy and just keep loading shot after shot.Last shot is just as accurate as first shot.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TeflonDon said:
I have one of the 25 acp breechplugs for my encore. It closed up the groups for me
What do you mean by "Closed up"? What was the range and what powder are you shooting? Also, what type of projectile are you shooting?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
From around 2' at 100 yards using 777 or 3f pryodex to under an inch. Haven't used the blackhorn powder yet. I started with it back when the 209 were starting. started back in the day with a mk85 and caps. 209 were hotter, most people used shotgun primers. There where no specific primers made for blackpowder guns.

the theory behind them is still sound, but todays primers are much better than when these were the hot ticket

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the history lesson TD. By the way....how's the jail food?
Oh....wait...Your not THAT Teflon Don??? Right???

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TeflonDon said:
Thanks now witness protection can move me to a state with better hunting.
Better hunting?? States with better??....Are you saying they are out there?? What.....Are you saying I've been brainwashed these past 50+ years??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts