The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Never used a mink box in my life. Blind sets work better and faster for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
just to let you know its illegal to set any conibear out of the water in pa so if you are planning on using conibears set the boxs in shallow water and have the bait elevated in the back of the box also the trap must be 7 inches back into the box

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was thinking about them due to the fact I can keep them operational easier in fowl weather with the trap out of the weather. Plus it will be easier to move. Our ground freezes solid in Nov which makes setting stakes a major job and I have to wait till spring to remove the stakes. So setting up some portable box sets is looking real good right now.

·
Registered
749 Posts
outdoors andrew said:
just to let you know its illegal to set any conibear out of the water in pa so if you are planning on using conibears set the boxs in shallow water and have the bait elevated in the back of the box also the trap must be 7 inches back into the box
get your facts straight before you give advise.....its water way not water...and then its the high water mark...so if you have a dry strem bed you can legally set that with up to a 160 conni in that...as long as your within the high water mark....and as you stated 7 inches recessed when using a box/bucket/cubby

·
Registered
94 Posts
sorry for the confusion by in the water i meant waterway and i undertand all the rules about setting in water ways but i know how difficult the game comission can be so i just set in the water to be safe just my preference

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if i have a mink box, with a 120 recessed 7 inches inside the box, and the box is along a stream, that would be legal?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
How about using a box like is used for weasels, but use a slightly bigger box with a slightly bigger hole and a #11 instead of a #1? I'd chain it well though, have chain run out the side or something, hooked solid to a tree or cement block in case you catch a coon that stuck it's paw in there. And how about encouraging mice into the box months before season opens? Nearly every fallen birdhouse we have seems to turn into a mouse nest after a while. My cattle dog finds them and goes nuts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They have to be in waterway.. I used them caught 2 as soon as it snowed..Nothing happened until snow came... I used muskrat for bait and lennons mink lure.. just put the boxes either close to the water or close to the trails with tracks.. good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
110 does not need to be recessed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts