The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
In our area it may help but not a cure all, we still use the tree tubes for oaks and such. For apples we fence with 16 foot of 5 ft high welded wire fence, then we use window screening for the trunks.. We have high deer numbers though as we dont shoot doe. good luck

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I'd suggest you do it the right way, or stand the chance of loosing your seedlings.

·
Registered
822 Posts
They ate all my white pine seedling this year , last year they didn't touch them, Go Figure , well next time I plant I will protect them with wire fence
Tom

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have planted white spruce along the edges of my plots.The bucks really like to rub on these trees by placing brush around them I think this had helped alot to keep them from rubbing on them.Now if it was a tree they like to browse on I don't think it would matter fence is needed.But I plant to many to fence all of them.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I think the key to spruce trees and pines are to plant a lot of them. You know "some are gonna get it."
Another key to planting them is to have a lot of other natural food/browse. This will help to satisfy the "browse appitite" so they don't need to go after those young seedlings.
Cut some browse if you can.

Apple trees, etc. you have to fence them. Also protect the tender bark from the squirrels and mice.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I assume your planting a fruit tree. The voles are enemy #1 I wrap alluminum screen around the bottom of the tree & staple it into a tube shape , then burry it 1-2" deep. the vole stopper. after that 15'long length of 6' high 1x2 turkey wire, rolled & staked down. The only thing that hurt me was the helicopter was so low this year they blew the fencing over, (seismic testing copters) My 6 year old trees are ready to have the fencing removed, then I'll just protect from deer rubbing. and voles, I have seen voles chew trees as big as a quart of beer. can you Imagine losing a tree to voles after 10-12 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes im planting apple seedlings from howard nursary. Ive going to start some in potts, some in fences, and then i figured some in brush. I was thinking brush only because to expensive to fence alot of trees. The screen that you guys are talking about the same as the screen in screen doors?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts