The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can't afford a Camp of my own right now I'm looking at buying an RV and putting it on land my BIL owns in Sullivan County. Once I set it in place I plan on building a deck and putting skirting around it so I won't be planning on moving it. I don't know if an RV will make a good hunting camp or not but it's the only good option I have right now.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Since I can't afford a Camp of my own right now I'm looking at buying an RV and putting it on land my BIL owns in Sullivan County. Once I set it in place I plan on building a deck and putting skirting around it so I won't be planning on moving it. I don't know if an RV will make a good hunting camp or not but it's the only good option I have right now.
just make sure you have running water and a hookup for sewage. might want to check about taxes. if it becomes a permanent structure your bil may get taxed on it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just make sure you have running water and a hookup for sewage. might want to check about taxes. if it becomes a permanent structure your bil may get taxed on it.
There is sewage hookup and electric. I'm told as long as it isn't tied down to the property in any way its not considered permanent

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I did think about doing this at one time. My plan was doing a garage/carport set up with the trailer as my camp. Trailer would be under roof and garage for atv storage and maybe bunkhouse space. Mice are a problem wether camper or cabin so ya go after them best ya can.

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
Make sure everything is sealed tight to take care of both issues.People also put peppermint oil,moth balls and dryer sheets inside the camper to keep mice out.I have no idea if they work or not.I had a pop-up that got invaded my mice two winter in a row and I ended up just giving it away.

When you go to insure it,it's best to not simply add it on to your auto policy.It's only covered for the same physical damage coverages that your vehicles are covered for.Since water leakage is an excluded coverage on the auto,it would exclude it on the RV as well and water leakage is a big issue.Progressive has a very good RV policy that you can endorse water leakage and pest damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To not pay taxes on the camper, you have to keep current license on it. Any deck you will have or your BIL will have to pay taxes on. Experience in Jefferson Co. The assessor drives out twice a year to check since I built a garage with out permits. 16 X 20. Brother has a deck on his RV that sits on top of the ground so it can be moved when he pulls it out to go to Erie every year. The deck was made of used lumber and scraps and still have to pay for the square footage of it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bones is correct for Clearfield County as well. As soon as you build anything around it, its considered taxable. Moth balls work well for mice for a while. Use caulking and go around every edge inside and definitely in the storage spaces under and inside. Takes time and is a pain in the butt, but its definitely worth it. Leave a window cracked in the warmer months and it will help keep the musty mold smell down. Take as much cloth as you can out as well. Bed sheets, towels, curtins, etc.

·
Registered
Ravin R9
7,162 Posts
One issue down the road would be the roof and how much weight it can endure from snow over time. The roof supports in RV's are usually no bigger than 2 x 2 inch.
Our camp consist of 2 park model trailers joined together. We spent years repairing the roof for leaks trying everything.
In 2000 we had a Pavilion constructed with enamel coated corrugated metal , 4 x 6 inch post supporting 29 foot trusses.
Total length is 55 feet . Best thing we ever did. Zero worries going on 23 years.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I think plenty of people started out like this. I know several camps that started out like this. I know people that lived in an RV on their land for a year or more while building a home. I know I'm hoping to buy land within the next couple years and I'll likely just be tent camping on it first.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To not pay taxes on the camper, you have to keep current license on it. Any deck you will have or your BIL will have to pay taxes on. Experience in Jefferson Co. The assessor drives out twice a year to check since I built a garage with out permits. 16 X 20. Brother has a deck on his RV that sits on top of the ground so it can be moved when he pulls it out to go to Erie every year. The deck was made of used lumber and scraps and still have to pay for the square footage of it.
Yeah I was planning on building a movable deck for the same reason. I didn't realize property taxes would apply 😲

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bones is correct for Clearfield County as well. As soon as you build anything around it, its considered taxable. Moth balls work well for mice for a while. Use caulking and go around every edge inside and definitely in the storage spaces under and inside. Takes time and is a pain in the butt, but its definitely worth it. Leave a window cracked in the warmer months and it will help keep the musty mold smell down. Take as much cloth as you can out as well. Bed sheets, towels, curtins, etc.
The RV I want has a sealed underbelly for use in Winter. They tell me this will really help with mice

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think plenty of people started out like this. I know several camps that started out like this. I know people that lived in an RV on their land for a year or more while building a home. I know I'm hoping to buy land within the next couple years and I'll likely just be tent camping on it first.
I bought a tent two weeks ago. Haven't even opened it yet and things have already progressed to an RV. I don't think women really appreciate tents 🤣

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
I've never known for Clearfield county to be an issue but in may depend on where you're at.My one neighbors moved his mobile home out and built a house about 15 years ago.He's still paying taxes on a mobile home.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Which township in Sullivan?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts