The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Simon Cool was a Captain in the Revolutionary War. While hunting deer along a tributary of Lycoming Creek in the County of the same name in 1780 he was killed by Indians. The Indians took Cool's hunting partner to Canada as hostage. He was latter released and made his way back to PA. Cool lived about a dozen miles from where he died (Antes Fortt/Larrys Cr. area), and evidently those that burried him felt it too long of a distance to transport the body. They burried him about a mile from the scene of his death, along Lycoming Cr., north of Williamsport. His grave remains and is maintained to this very day. I generally pick obscure names in history for the few online handles I have.

Really, if my christian name were Simon, I'd surely have adopted another moniker for daily use.....

* You got me loridr, I was certain your screen name was derived from your love of HD.....or maybe a fan of the band War!;)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Coureur De Bois simple translation is woods runner. I started using it back in the late 1990 , early 2000 on different sites, and have grown old doing so. I suppose a more accurate one reflecting myself today would be trebuche et tombe, or simple translation, stumbles and falls.🤣 And no I don't speak French.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
After escaping death many times while climbing trees with Bakers & TSS's.... upon getting my first Loggy.....I was in love!!:)
I will admit they were a nice climber. But after mine tried to kill me twice in the same day, I gave them all up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey I still have my original baker in my garage, all the original paper work, hand climber, seat and gun/ bow racks. Amazing what they cost back then lol.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The organization I was with had a cross-training program with the British SAS. During one exercise their Commander commented to our Commander that my team “was just as cunning and elusive as our fox.” During the critique, that comment was quoted by my CO to the team. Somebody shouted out “no we are as cunning and elusive as a coyote”, hence we all became known as coyotebill, coyotecharlie, coyotejohn, etc. Has nothing to do with calling coyotes.

·
Super Moderator
12,496 Posts
When I was in high school I would spend a week or more with my grandparents who lived in a very remote area and owned a huge farm/woods. I would get up on my own before daylight, skip breakfast and hunt squirrels sometimes all day eating only hickory, walnuts, persimmons, pears, apples and/or turnips from grandpa's field while drinking water from the springs on the farm. One day I over heard my aunt talking to my grandmother saying... why does he do that? My grandmother said I think it is in his blood then later I head her say he has been doing this for four years now...I think he was Born2hunt....Thus......

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
i am a huge Fred Bear fan. own a recurve personally signed by him for me after a phone call to bear archery and speaking with him in 1981. he put both our names on it. i still have it, cant hunt with it due to a bum shoulder and the handle has a slight crack in it that cant be repaired as it would ruin the signature. i used to hunt everything with a recurve bow. small game and big game, rarely ever gun hunted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts