The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used to really like this forum.but i havent been on it for months.those who believe there are few deer have thier opinions and those who support the game commissions goals have thiers.it makes me sick to see "sportsman" hagling each other because of thier opinion.some of the "few deer guys" hunt on state forest and go to the traditional deer camp. i am one of these people. i dont opologize for my opinion. i see and hear from others that hunt in wmu2g the same thing.very few deer. there are 5 camps on our road. the 1st day there were 3 buck hanging between the 5 camps(easily 35 hunters),and one was a spike from a junior.hunting licence sales are down including the future of our sport,juniors. why?? its simple. dad takes them out deer hunting,they see no deer. youngster dont want to go sit in woods,get cold and see nothin.now thats my opinion. and im stickin to it.so you guys that have 500 acres of private land that see plenty of deer and kill a 8 point every year,let me have it.because i dont care to get on this site anymore! we are all hunters one common goal and hobby. let a fellow have his opinion and maybe see his side of things.cant we all just get along.what do you think the antis are doing as they read this stuff? they are smiling.

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
Your opinion about the state of the deer herd has the support from many others on this site. There will also be opinions that differ from yours.

All are free to discuss the state of hunting in Pa and to disagree with others assessments. That is the nature of any message board and it is also human nature.

All we ask is that all follow the rules, discuss the topic and not take shots at each other.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Is your whole hunting life based on deer?
maybe hunt something other than deer.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
So you don't like this site anymore because not everybody has the same opinion about the deer herd as you?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
30-06boy said:
i used to really like this forum.but i havent been on it for months.those who believe there are few deer have thier opinions and those who support the game commissions goals have thiers.it makes me sick to see "sportsman" hagling each other because of thier opinion.some of the "few deer guys" hunt on state forest and go to the traditional deer camp. i am one of these people. i dont opologize for my opinion. i see and hear from others that hunt in wmu2g the same thing.very few deer. there are 5 camps on our road. the 1st day there were 3 buck hanging between the 5 camps(easily 35 hunters),and one was a spike from a junior.hunting licence sales are down including the future of our sport,juniors. why?? its simple. dad takes them out deer hunting,they see no deer. youngster dont want to go sit in woods,get cold and see nothin.now thats my opinion. and im stickin to it.so you guys that have 500 acres of private land that see plenty of deer and kill a 8 point every year,let me have it.because i dont care to get on this site anymore! we are all hunters one common goal and hobby. let a fellow have his opinion and maybe see his side of things.cant we all just get along.what do you think the antis are doing as they read this stuff? they are smiling.
I agree with what you said. My 2 daughters won't hunt deer anymore for the very reasons you pointed out here. I have talked my youngest one into giving archery a try, but I don'tknow how long that will last. If she gets lucky enough to get one or sees some deer she might stay after it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with you that in some areas the deer have been over harvested. If you've been watching the debate I'm sure you see which side the vicious attacks come from. I've never been on a site before where there were so many people with and agenda. People take criticism of the PGC to personal for someone that isn't in some way tied the the agency. Also they are like a broken record with the same talking points from the PGC. Bottom line if I disagreed with your post which I don't I would comment to you like this. Example : In my area the hunting is actually better than before. I am very happy with the current deer numbers and hunting opportunities in my area. I hope your hunting area improves for next hunting season. Good luck hunting.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It's called opposing views. Killing a deer is not the main priority of some sportsmen and for some it is the only goal. While the deer herd is down in some areas of the state, they are still there. Quality over quantity. My wife has a small diamond on her engagement ring, but it is super clear.

All in all it seems like a pretty silly reason to leave the site. If you do leave I wish you the best of luck in the future.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
hemicuda said:
I agree with you that in some areas the deer have been over harvested. If you've been watching the debate I'm sure you see which side the vicious attacks come from. I've never been on a site before where there were so many people with and agenda. People take criticism of the PGC to personal for someone that isn't in some way tied the the agency. Also they are like a broken record with the same talking points from the PGC. Bottom line if I disagreed with your post which I don't I would comment to you like this. Example : In my area the hunting is actually better than before. I am very happy with the current deer numbers and hunting opportunities in my area. I hope your hunting area improves for next hunting season. Good luck hunting.
Not everyone that disagrees with you is connected to the PGC and pushing talking points. Wild claims are silly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
30-06boy said:
Well when the same 100 plus hunters go to deer camp an hunt the same area every year ,year after year of course the deeer heard will slowly decline every year..i was born an raised in the big woods an yes there were plenty of deer we would spot the big fam feilds count over 100 deer now maybe 10 but when everyone hunts the same area poof deer gone,, now as i used to see so many deer on the 1st day i couldnt count the bucks were small 9 outa 10 of em ..now with AR the racks are getting bigger an better every year. there are alot of deer out there in our great state an some great hunting grounds. i stuck 3 deer with a bow this year an seen more deer this year than i have in the past 3 years an way bigger mature bucks.And yes i was hunting on public ground.Everyone wants to complain theres no deer cuz they hear their buddy joe say theres no deer an mike an bob an tom an jim all say theres no deer so they just say GC is at fault.. When in fact its no ones fault but our own . Try finding somewere else to hunt instead of going to deer camp go somewere else yeah deer camp is fun hanging out getting drunk with your buddies swaping lies but when areas get pressure yr after yr the deer will dissapear.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
hemicuda said:

And to be fair, those opposed to the deer plan and some just not liking the GC for any reason use the same tactics and talking points as well.

Agendas, as you suggest, might well be information that has yet to be refuted. I need to remind you, Unified and friends just spent 50k ( now being touted as 70K) on the last lawsuit. They had nothing and in large part agreed with the deer program in sworn testimony for the court.

When it is all said and done, the GC has the data and information to support the deer program. That methodology and data has been looked at by national experts and found to be sound... not perfect. But even then, in those instances where imperfection exists, those same experts clearly stated their is a effort to improve both methods and data collection and use.

Last, some of use have been involved in this back and forth for almost a decade and some during that entire time. Here on HPA and elsewhere. More than a few of us started on the against the program side including myself.

However, after years of back and forth, and the glaring lack of credible information to refute the deer program.... it comes down to just opposing it to be different or being to stubborn to accept others have the information to back it up.

Once again - Unified and now the other guys from ACSL are finding that out.

I gladly consider myself a GC supporter. beats supporting PennDot, the Lottery Commission or Department of revenue. Besides, with the GC it is easy to get involved in the promotion, support, and furtherment of hunting and trapping. Only two state agencies offer the average citizen the opportunity to stand up and express their opinion in an official venue four times a year. For five minutes anyone can stand and ask for, oppose, support, or suggest about anything concerning our sport, the agencies, or the operation or services they provide or do.

Those agencies are our outdoor sports agencies:

The Game Commission and the Fish and Boat Commission.

Last, few folks I know that many would perceive to be "GC supporters" ever worked for them in any capacity. Nearly all have issues they disagree with the agency with.

Few are all in with no issues. But nearly all are willing to work toward resolution via the 100+ year process in place.

In that work many things have changed over the last 10 years working within the process. Gaining information to support positions and making the case for the action desired.

In the end, like anything within the government, you have to be actively involved to affect change. Standing back and letting others do the heavy work usually ends in failure or a prolonged effort.

Not directed at you specifically.

So yeah, I support the GC and the employees there. They manage and in so many ways protect my passion - my sport of hunting. But that entails so many other things on the ground, in policy, and in law that it quickly becomes confusing and convoluted. The reasons for anyone thing quickly entail things that most people see as separate issues or activities.

But that is exactly what makes it so interesting.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I believe if you look for the facts you will see that hunting liscence sales are actually up this year. Actually sales have grown the last 2 years. It cant be that bad?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
hemicuda said:
Not everyone drinks or plays cards. The deer were there for over 30 years with much more hunting pressure than we have now.
And you probably still didn't shoot any more deer then you do now unless you had a doe license for the doe season. Why would I want to see 40 doe a day during buck season? Sure it was nice to see and shoot that spike every now and then. But now I get to see a few doe and shoot a 8pt+ every now and then.

I enjoy being in the woods. Watching the chipmunks collect nuts. The squirrels chattering and fighting. The woodcock walking by me looking for worms. The fresh air and camo or bright orange.

There is so much more to hunting then walking into the woods, plopping down at the same old tree, and seeing/killing deer.

Lets not forget all of the farts and stories in camp either.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been pretty neutral in the whole deer debate, but I just love it when people say to hunt in a different location. I guess guys who own camps are supposed to sell their camps and buy one where there are deer. When the deer are no longer there sell that camp and buy another where there are more deer and so on. I guess they could always have a camp that they pay tax on, insurance and other expenses for and not use it. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
30-06boy said:
30-06, if you thinks it bothers you as a member try running this place. All Pa hunters are in the same boat, but some have cabins on a higher deck of it (me being one). Although i don;t agree with what some say are going on here, i do have sympathy for each and every guy that comes here and wants to vent or just get a little " i am with ya brother" from other guys that may of had an off year. My family (as in my household) had a very off year in PA for a variety of reasons. We are still to the point here where a tough year motivates, but i can see how a few years of this devastates.

My bottom line is this...the folks that run this site don;t make every post or set every tone, in fact we don;t even have same experiences in a small handful of mods and admins. This is a sounding board for all.

My son is a "highlight reel" hunter, perhaps from my own creation but if in a few hours in the woods it does not happen it is day over for him, let's move onto something else. The harder I hunt the less he does, i sir struggle with that the most.

My father and brother popped beautiful bucks on a crowded SGL this year, my private land here stunk to high heaven (in rifle anyway), and i never burnt more days in the woods.

Guys here i saw complaining here a couple years ago , now had a lucky year and sing praises higher then any of the regulars...

It is a roller coaster my friend...the peaks are higher, the valleys are lower then they were in the 70's -90's...we are all in line to ride again though. That is how I see it. BEST OF LUCK to you next year, me too huh ? I'd like to have that pep in my step again. God Bless ya for loving hunting so much! See ya in the line before the ride starts and may 2013 be the year you got your arms up as you clear that peak

THAT is HuntingPA.com, and it is all a part of PA deer hunting.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I agree with you my area deer is way down nothing close of what it used to be. However this forum is one of the greatest sites i have seen. Like i just cant wait to get back on it. I disagree a lot but thats a meesage board and this site does not tolerate no bull. You might get your feelings hurt but your not going to be de graded or your going to get booted. I have seen many sites where profane language is thrown back in forth it wont work on here. Good job HuntingPa !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Everyone has an opinion. Here is mine.

The deer hunting situation today is a result of many factors:
Fewer hunters to move the deer.
Over hunting in some areas due to access.
Maturing forests providing less browse for the deer.
Native foliage diseases, and invasive insects and plants are changing the ecology.
More efficient hunting technology, such as treestands.
Increased predation from coyotes.
EHD deaths in the fall in some areas.
Scientific studies that have changed former deer management assumptions.
Game Commission goals of balancing deer for all wildlife stakeholders.

The above factors vary in different areas. Your opinion will be based on your experience in the area you hunt. One thing is for sure, deer hunting will never be the same as it was in the 60s and 70s.

Personally, I think the PGC does the best it can. They brought back turkeys and elk for hunters. They are trying to manage the resource for everyone.

I am happy I have the opportunity to own a gun and hunt in Pennsylvania. To me, complaining about deer hunting is like poisoning the well. It can make it bitter for everyone.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Love this site. I've been a member since 2000, don't make a lot of posts, (12 years= 900 posts) but you stay in tune what's going on with the Pa. hunting community. As for guys ripping you a new one, it's the internet, every bodies a tough guy.
Don't let it bother you.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts