The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a used Ranger that I think is a pretty good deal, but it is a 2010 800 with around 250 hours. The only things replaced so far are tires, oil and battery. I know there are a lot of wear parts on these, but is there really a way to tell what needs replaced without taking everything apart? Are there tests you can do for bearings, ball joints, etc? Sorry for sounding naive, this is my first atv-utv purchase. Does anybody know of any common problems for this year?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Some of the basic's you can do.
Look at the skid plates underneath, that can tell a lot about the type of use. they will all have some dents and scrapes, just not all dented up to engine etc.
You could jack up the front and back separately, by the frame, then grab each wheel and check for play both up/down, forward/back, in/out. check all tie rods as well.
Be sure the 4 x 4 works, as well as low and high range.
Check CV joints and drive shafts for excessive wear. Check drive shaft where the slip spline is.

They are a nice machine, best of luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings are cheap, I believe this is a strut style front end which seem to hold up better than an arm set up. I would be more concerned with the drivetrain functioning properly. Look for big impacts the utv might have taken. The underneath tells a good story. Good luck with your new purchase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts