The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am not familiar with crossbows and my 16 year old son is looking for a good value in a used one. I have been helping him look but I want to make sure I'm giving him good advice. I was pushing him towards a crank, but I am not sure that is a good idea. It seems most xbows do not have them. Are there any general guidelines or things to watch out for? His budget is around $200

Thank you,

Rick

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'd see if he can draw with a simple rope cocking device first. I think cranks are noisy and for the most part unnecessary unless you have an injury or other physical limitation that prevents you from using a rope.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dunham's has some good deals when they have a sale or some leftovers marked down, As for used, I would check cables for fraying, string also, take some cotton balls to check limbs for cracks, slide them all over the fiberglass if it sticks its not good. make sure you shoot it, If the owner will not let you try it, I would surely not buy it.

Good luck, I love mine.

Stant

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
You could get a new carbon express on Ebay with a 5 year warranty for $184.Don't know much about them though.Finding a high quality used crossbow for $200 may be hard.You could probably find a used budget crossbow for that price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts