The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am new to the world of ATVs. I am looking to buy used and seeing as this will be my first I don't want to break the bank. It will be used for light trail riding and plowing snow in the driveway. What should I be looking for in regards to engine size? Brand/ model? Fuel injected/ carb? Whats high mileage for an ATV? I'd like to keep it around $4k, is this a reasonable budget? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Fuel injection starts better in cold weather (snow plowing season).
I think 400 is big enough engine as far as power goes, for what you want to use it for.
The only advantages I could think of with bigger machines, would be if the machine had a longer/wider wheel base, and weighed a little more, it would probably ride better. Also, the heavier machine would help when snow plowing.
As far as brands......you will get a lot of different answers, most important is to go with a name brand......not a Chinese knock off piece of junk.
Honda/Polaris/Yamaha/Can Am all make pretty good machines. I'm not so fond of the Artic Cat/Suzuki....which are basically the same machine, although I am sure their are people who have had good luck with them as well.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I had a A/Cat and the machine was great.The Suzuki engine in it though was junk.It was the same 400cc engine Suzy,s used in their Vinson model they had at the time.If memory serves,mine was a 04.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the info guys. I figured a 400-500 would be sufficient for plowing. And I plan on sticking with the brand name (Yanaha, Kawi, honda etc). I've been looking on craigslist and have found a few that I may take a look at. They seem to have anywhere from 400-1200 miles on them. Obviously, the lower the mileage the better, but whats the life expectancy of an atv engine?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a 2000 Honda Foreman with 1500 hours and 5500 miles and it runs like the day I got it (it looks pretty beat up but runs like champ).

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i bought a 2007 yammie big bear 400 4x4 with locking diff with 250 miles on it last year for $3500. i put a cycle country 54" plow on it and plowed last winter. it is great so far. we've put about 1000 miles on it since and no problems at all. plenty of power and traction for plowing even deep snow.

make sure to get a 4x4 for plowing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely looking for a 4x4. Another kind of stupid question...do they all have reverse? I noticed that a few models pre 2004 don't list a reverse gear.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Good question. I believe that most if not all utility type 4 x 4's have reverse. A lot of the sport machines did not have reverse for a lot of years, today I would guess most do, but probably not the racing type.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Watch the sales. Yamaha always runs a special with very little cost for the first 2 years, then the payments go up. That's when a lot of guys then have to sell them for what they owe. My son and I both have Yamaha 550 Grizzlies. Mine has the power steering. If you are looking to plow, you are going to need a winch. I would say a 500cc gives you the best of both worlds, because if you decide to use it for food plot work later, that is the minimum size you would need.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I had the Yamaha 400 as well. That thing plowed my long uphill driveway like a champ. Push button 4x4 and winch made it a snap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was looking to buy used also and spend about 4 grand and found out I could get a new 2013 polaris sportsman 500 for just under 5300 out the door so that's what I bought. No problems with it so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts