The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, This is my question. I used my dog today to find a dead deer on my property. Someone said on the hunting dog post it was illegal to use the dog to find the dead deer. I know you can't run deer with a dog, but this pup has found more than her fair share of deer that left no blood trail. Can I get some help. I was on the phone with the warden today and told him the same story and not a word, nothing but praise. SO is it illegal to use a dog to recover your deer? Sounds pretty silly to let a deer go to waste, when you can make all the effort to recover it.
Russ

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Way I understand it,it is illegal.How do you know the deer is dead?Dog jumps it and you put an arrow into it,now you are using a dog to HUNT deer.Don't understand why a warden would praise you for that.That being said,I've ran into some deps that don't know squat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well say when he goes back home to get the dog he leaves the bow behind,Now its just him and the dog with no intent to shoot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm curious on the out come, I just got a coonhound this past spring. I would have never put that much thought behind not taking him.

When I normally shoot a deer with my bow, I head home for a couple hours anyhow.( I walk from the porch to my stand) Grab the supplies I need and a buddy or two.

I'd have just grabbed the dog and gone, But now If its illegal, I dont want him to join the party.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amending my post. After further review and a lengthy discussion with John S. He is correct, using a dog to "Track" big game would be the same as using a dog to "hunt" big game, which would be a violation of Sec.2383 even if the animal is dead.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, gents.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Yep, and you've just broke the law and can get yourself into a bind. The question was asked and answered. Too many like to manipulate the law when it doesn't suit them.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Been brought up several times in the legislature and at GC meetings. Seems there is little support for it. Possibly lack of understanding, or people just don't know about the positives. Then again - some might be thinking it is about running deer with dogs. Either way - this bill and the idea has gone no where.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hunting in a state where in many parts it's legal to run deer with dogs, I can say I hate it. However, I know many guys who hunt that way and love it. It's like the crossbow/compound bow debate. To each their own! We are all sportsman in the end. However, I think the PGC is making a big mistake in not allowing the use of a leashed dog to find a deer that has been shot already. The sheer number of deer that are shot and not recovered is sad. The use of dogs to find them would drop that number greatly without affecting those hunters who are against actual hunting deer with dogs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the last thing i would want to have happen is my dog find a deer i shot and some other hunter shooting my dog saying it was chasing a deer. i know the thread about that got locked, but i think the dog chasing deer law should be taken out of the rules. people on this board are always complaining about unethical and slob hunters but want them to have the authority to shoot someones dog. if people want to shoot dogs, just go yote hunting.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I'd have to agree with CJ on this one. If the dog was LEASHED, AND if there were no weapons other than say a hunting knife carried, then more wounded deer would be found. Look at it this way: a hunter wounds a deer but can't find it, dead deer goes to rot, and hunter goes on to shoot another. Two deer killed with only one recovered. Hunter wounds a deer and finds it with a leashed dog: deer tagged and only one deer killed. Seems to me to be a win-win situation

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Until the law is changed it is unlawful to use a dog to find wounded big game animals, no rationalization will change that. If the general assembly changes the law have at it. Until then follow the law and do not do it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Well, just had a fella send me pics of a deer that was shot last week and lost. Had a leashed tracking dog been available, I'm sure it would have been found. Now, a buck is dead, and the person can LEGALLY go out and shoot another buck. The meat was spoiled on the first buck and he legally can't keep the antlers, but, 2 bucks will probably die this season, when only one would have.

Leashed tracking dogs should be legal. Unfortunately, the legislators can't recognize the benefits.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think 17 states allow leashed dogs to track wounded deer. If some one shot a leashed dog for chasing deer I beleive he would have broke several laws. I can't understand when you have the resorces to find many wounded deer why the Game comm. would not allow it. The key would be "leashed"

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
RayRay said:
I think 17 states allow leashed dogs to track wounded deer. If some one shot a leashed dog for chasing deer I beleive he would have broke several laws. I can't understand when you have the resorces to find many wounded deer why the Game comm. would not allow it. The key would be "leashed"
It's not the PGC's call on it. It has to be changed by the legislature.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Dutch, I am not arguing the value of a leashed tracking dogs, it is the rationalization on two threads that it is ok to use them now that I am speaking against.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts