The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 3, 120's before i knew they could not be used on land in a mink box, now I am trying to figure out how to use them, any help would be appreciated. I am think they may be too big for bottom edge sets. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you can use mink boxes on dry land...just have to be within the water coarse..so if you have a creek with high banks you have to stay within that creek channel below the top edge of the bank...
not the greatest pic but i think you get the idea...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Im sure that if you have time you can make the mink boxes and you can still you those 120s. Build a little cave with rocks on the stream and put some bait in the back and the trap at the entrance

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I prefer a 120 in my "underwater pocket" set. I like the dual springs so I can push stakes down through the spring eyes to stabilize the trap in case a mink swims into the side of the trap.

They also work very well in the old #10 tomato can set as popularized by BK of Wisconsin.

·
Registered
186 Posts
beaver boy said:
You can use a #120 coni on land as the jaw spread on a #120 is only 4 1/2", water or no water.
absolutly NOT

regulations :
traps:
setting traps #4) it is unlawful to set a body-gripping trap outside a watercourse,waterway,marsh,pond or dam.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
it is unlawful to set a body-gripping trap outside a watercourse,waterway,marsh,pond or dam.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
longear said:
it is unlawful to set a body-gripping trap outside a watercourse,waterway,marsh,pond or dam.

·
Registered
186 Posts
longear said:
yes that means weasel boxes with rat traps also.... i already asked a WCO ....if its your property then you can but if its someone elses property then you CANT. they concider a rat trap a body-gripper

·
Registered
456 Posts
I thought as long as the jaw spread didnt exceed a certain size and the cubby was the right dimension it was legal this year? 7" back from the opening sounds right for the cubby. I could be wrong on this

·
Registered
186 Posts
rambo you are right the opening of the artificial cubby can not exceed 50 square inches and the trigger has to be 7" back,,,,,longear was talking plain old rat traps not muskrat traps and either way a body-gripping trap can NOT be place out-side a watercourse doesnt matter what size it is.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
think about this... a foothold in a weasel box is a body gripper for weasels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i hear ya longear but its still concidered a foothold its not classified as a body-gripper

·
Registered
749 Posts
trapped71 said:
i hear ya longear but its still concidered a foothold its not classified as a body-gripper
heres another one for ya......i can set a duke DP and right beside i can set a #4 duke for coons but i cant set a alcatraz DP because it has too big of a opening....lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
walkercoonhunter said:
trapped71 said:
heres another one for ya......i can set a duke DP and right beside i can set a #4 duke for coons but i cant set a alcatraz DP because it has too big of a opening....lol
yeeeeeaaaahhh i've never seen an alcatraz DP so your probably right. i agree with alot of you guys,,, dont get me wrong some of our laws s*ck-butt ,,,but we all have to abide by them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts