The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...we have been taking our catches to a buyer...he is a very expirenced trapper...he told us to only use red fox urine for our sets and finish them with fresh bait and just a basic predator lure...he states a yore will take off a red....gray fox will take off a red..and a cat wil take off a red...which I think is kind of true...but it just feels like we should target a certain animal...does everybody use the urine they are trying to target or doesn't it really matter?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I am no pro...far from it...

But that seems to be the norm....gland use is probably a bigger factor imo....urine evaportaes to ammonia real quick..sure some other smells are left..but urine is urine....ive read guys using their own....guys use their own to.make.mock buck scrapes for deer and have fantastic results....

Glands though smell much more like the critter...i carry red and yote glands...havent caught a red with yote gland...but have caught yotes with red gland...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...that makes sense I guess..I don't think I'd use my own...although that would be pretty cheap...this time of year are you using long call lures? They say when it snows use lots of skunky smells?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Yep...cold dry air hinders scent....i dont always use somethin skunky...but most of the time i do...at the set or dip a twig on a tree branch above the set in a call lure...

The most important thing in trapping ive learned is be ON location...if you have a set directly where a critter is going to walk it is much more prone to investigate....a few feet off location and you may not catch em...

Wind direction is huge too i learned this year...trapping reds at camp...i.paid attention to the wind and next days wind when setting for the first time...well it was going from NW to SW every other day...i put sets out for both winds...could tell by catches what way the wind blew that nite...

If you are on location it doesnt matter much what scents and lures and baits and urines you use...wild animals are prone to investigating things that stand out...un-natural things...ground disturbances...smells...etc...as long as it doesnt spook them, they are likely going to.investigate....i bet a good trapper could catch a fox at a dirthole with nothing in it...i am sure it has been done...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Red urine is most widely used and for good reason. I assure you urine is not just urine. I could pee in the same spot and eventually it will smell like human urine gone bad. Let a red fox pee on the same spot and it will eventually smell like my fox ranch used to. The salts in the urine hold the foxy odor. A k9 will be able to smell fox in the spot where urine was applied long after the season ends. Take that to the bank.

Have caught many reds and greys on coyote urine as well as bobcat urine. Carry one spray bottle mixed with all 3 for scent sets, puts them into olfactory overload and can cause them to feel the need to mark it heavily with thier own.

Individual animals will respond differently to scent use due to expierences, good and bad and thier level of agressiveness. Using red fox urine helps hedge the bet in the k9 trapper's favor in most cases IMO.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention; A favorite set is to find a groundhog colony and make your own new hog sized hole 5 or more feet from existing holes and don't bait or scent at all. Fox and coyote can't help looking into new hole and taking a ride to fur shed. This will take some smart/shy k9s'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts