The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on which cover scents would be appreciated. I always used coon for deer but I found grey fox urine and I"m thinking of trying that as a cover and attractant.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Just watch the wind and don't worry about any cover scent. The predators will just smell a human and grey fox urine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have Tinks skunk oil. Im gonna start using it agian when there is no wind... but beware! it is more potent than a real skunk I think and if you open it in your car it will smell really bad for a week. dont put it on you either I keep mine in 2 ziplocks with cotton balls and rubber glove, they will not smell you through skunk oil. I think the fox pee is more of an attractant. Get the skunk!!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
They'll smell you even with that skunk oil if they get downwind of you. Try to keep open ground to your downwind side and kill them before they can smell you.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I agree with you, but it will distract them for a moment maby longer letting you get a shot. best bet is still on the skunk, that is just how strong it is.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Agree with John-PA. I prefer to minimize all scent rather than adding to the mix. I've always been a fanatic about keeping my clothes clean and as odor-free as possible. They stay outside in tupperware tubs all year. I've gone away from using any cover scents for deer or predators except for spraying down with Dead Down Wind scent elimination spray before going into the woods. I pay much more attention to wild direction and set-up. For example, last weekend I called in and shot a coyote on a stand that I waited for weeks to hunt until I got the right wind conditions and powdered snow to sneak in on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks been using the complete down wind system,body wash deodorant,cloths wash,spray.I"ve learned that noise level acceptabe to kill deer aren"t going to cut it for predators.I know i have good predator numbers,need to upgrade all skills to hunt preds.Mike Dillion is right pred hunting is challenging.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have seen and killed way more predators, even coyotes using skunk then not using skunk and it is strong, but it gives me very, very, good results so i will keep using it.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Never use cover scent. However my camo never comes in the house. Stays outside all season hanging under cover.

Once met a older gent who said he would rub skunk sent behind his ears. We all looked at him a little funny ............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts