The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 lb setter got into some chocolate tonight. The bad news is he ate almost 2 lbs of dark chocolate covered caramels. The choc coating is very thin, but it is listed as the #1 ingredient.

He is vomiting, and prob has diarrhea. He seems to be shaking as well. I don't think I can get him to a vet tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,870 Posts
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center
800-213-6680

they may be able to help you but you should probably get him to a vet if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Vets normally getthem to vomic using hydrogen peroxide a table spoon to make him throw up before his system digests more of it. The perkiomen animal hospital has a 24 hr call number it is in east greenville, I also know in west chester there are animal hospitals with a 24 number and 24 hour service. make the calls look up animal hospital not vet in the phone book
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna keep an eye on him for another hour. I found the following:

"Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested; severe toxicity occurs when one ounce per pound of body weight is ingested (or as little as six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate for a 20-pound dog)."

At worst, he probably has mild toxicity at 65 lbs. There wasn't that much chocolate on the candies. I will induce more vomiting with the hydrogen peroxide, and mind him for awhile.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gave 4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide. He probably could have 6 tsp, but I'll start with 4 and see how he does. This is gonna be a long night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
I had a poodle eat chocolate easter rabbit the same size as her. She shook and threw up for awhile but turned out to be ok the next day though. Best of luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts
Larry said:
Gave 4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide. He probably could have 6 tsp, but I'll start with 4 and see how he does. This is gonna be a long night.
Hope alls well that was the best thing you could of done (peroxide)should be fine. Had the same thing last easter with our westie.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cody is fine. I little puking (mostly outside), a little diarrhea (all outside), and he is back to normal. I slept on the couch right next to him, just in case. All dog owners...Be sure to tell your kids to keep the candy off the floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Great to hear. Our dog did almost the same thing this last year. Called the vet and they told us to give her peroxide too. Not sure how much it actually helped, but she is fine now too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Glad it all worked out. As a kid our cocker spaniel got into lots of candy that we were selling for school. Lucky enough she had an iron gut and was fine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He was pretty ill. It was scary. He was shaking and his heart was racing. He is an old setter, at 11 yrs, so I was quite concerned.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top