The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 lb setter got into some chocolate tonight. The bad news is he ate almost 2 lbs of dark chocolate covered caramels. The choc coating is very thin, but it is listed as the #1 ingredient.

He is vomiting, and prob has diarrhea. He seems to be shaking as well. I don't think I can get him to a vet tonight.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center
800-213-6680

they may be able to help you but you should probably get him to a vet if you can.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Vets normally getthem to vomic using hydrogen peroxide a table spoon to make him throw up before his system digests more of it. The perkiomen animal hospital has a 24 hr call number it is in east greenville, I also know in west chester there are animal hospitals with a 24 number and 24 hour service. make the calls look up animal hospital not vet in the phone book

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna keep an eye on him for another hour. I found the following:

"Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested; severe toxicity occurs when one ounce per pound of body weight is ingested (or as little as six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate for a 20-pound dog)."

At worst, he probably has mild toxicity at 65 lbs. There wasn't that much chocolate on the candies. I will induce more vomiting with the hydrogen peroxide, and mind him for awhile.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Larry said:
Gave 4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide. He probably could have 6 tsp, but I'll start with 4 and see how he does. This is gonna be a long night.
Hope alls well that was the best thing you could of done (peroxide)should be fine. Had the same thing last easter with our westie.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cody is fine. I little puking (mostly outside), a little diarrhea (all outside), and he is back to normal. I slept on the couch right next to him, just in case. All dog owners...Be sure to tell your kids to keep the candy off the floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.