The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want 2 get a upland coat vest maybe combo ??Waterproof Gore Tex ?? Not loud in the brush and maybe also use 4 big game hunting .Looked at stuff from Cabelas and just wanted some input from the Guys that do alot of small game hunting Thnx Bob

·
Registered
195 Posts
The cabelas gore tex small game jacket is one of my favorites.i use it for both small game and deer/bear hunting if needed.However the gore tex small game pant are horrible,they did not last one full season for me.Currently i have a pair of filson pants.dont love em but dont hate either.they shed water well and going through the brush is not an issue.but they are a bit on the heavey side and very stiff.no mattter what pants you choose i beleive that suspenders are a must.im 45 and used to laugh at the olr timers for wearing them.they got the last laugh as it only took me about 30yrs to realize what i had been missing

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have the cable's gortex coat. I like everything about it except for the fact that it hangs up in briars. The don't get through and it is still waterproof, but the outer layer has some runs in it.

I think it would be great for general squirrel or pheasant hunting, but plan to get mule or Dan's next for serious rabbit hunting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For boots I swear by my Salomon 4d GTX II boots. Comfortable and lightweight - wear with a pair of Smartwool sock and you cannot go wrong.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If rabbits are on the menu or heavy cover grouse I like stuff that's a little tougher which usually means to loud for deer hunting if you walk much or still hunt for deer. Fleece ones are quieter but don't hold up well to briers and the like. Mule brand for a tough vest/coat/pants just a plain cotton/canvas vest available at any sporting goods store for open hardwoods or fields, Danner Pronghorns for a lightweight boot.Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I upgraded my former vest to a full Under Armout Field Jacket. While it's expensive ($180) it is heavy enough I can wear a tee shirt under or a button up flannel. But light enough it doesn't restrict movement and the fit is perfect as I am slight of frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts