The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Updated Lugnut Pictures

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  WOL 
#1 ·
Out of velvet and ready for the season.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
At first glance he looks like a smaller copy of the Rompola buck from yesteryear.

Also looks a lot like one my buddy shot on my place about 11 years ago. A 24 1/2" (INSIDE spread) 3.5 year 9-pointer.

Best of luck catching him doing something dumb. Love to see a pic of you with him.

#15 ·
Would be awesome if my 88 year old dad or my son got him. I'd be happy for anyone I know to get him. Don't want him shot by someone I don't know and I'll never find out what happened to him. I'd at least like to see him up close and put a tape measure on a couple dimensions. :D If one of my buddies got him, I'd offer to pay for the mount if we could hang him at our cabin.

#19 · (Edited)
Have you ever laid eyes on him while hunting, or just trail camera pics?
Saw him once while hunting. I was hunting the woods behind our turnip field on the last day of 2016 archery. He was a perfect 5x5 that year. It got too dark to see in the woods but there was still about 15 minutes of legal shooting light left. I decided to climb down and walk the field for the last minutes. He came out in the last 5 minutes of shooting time and jogged straight to me and stopped, broadside at about 50 yards. I thought it was 40 yards and shot under him. He ran about 30 yards and started feeding. I just stood there until dark and he slowly walked away. Won't leave home without a range finder now.

When he ran 30 yards and just stopped, I was praying that he would start swaying and tip over. But, I pretty much knew the arrow went under him. On the bright side, I got to see two more sets of antlers on him.

#21 ·
Do you have a specific strategy that you're confident about? Any idea where he is bedding?
No and no. We're hunting big woods. Thousands of acres of unbroken forest. Overgorwn clear cut, swamp, thick laurels, thick blueberries, steeps. Deer can literally bed anywhere. Of the 35 years I've been hunting here, I've never once had a feeling that I knew were any deer were bedding at any time. For evening hunts, I do know that deer feed in the couple of fields we've planted. Other than that, they mostly mosey around and bed and browse. As a matter of fact, in my go-to stand, I have seen deer coming from every direction at all different times of the day. There's never been a pattern. I just gotta be out there.

#24 ·
Quit thinking about hunting the fields for the first 3 weeks.If their are acorns he will eating them till dark.You need to put some foot work in and look for his rubbing.If you find where he is eating right now (if on acorns )you will find a spot where you can stand and see half a dozen trees with fresh rubbing on them.With his age and size some of the rubs should be on trees as big as your arms.If you can find this spot,pick a tree and make note of witch way North is and then slip out of their.Wait till the wind is right and get in their in the middle of the day and kill your buck.

#23 ·
Freakishly wide buck. I’d guess 153-155 “ gross.
He's a tough one to guestimate because his spread makes other measurements hard to guess. I've been coming up woth 152 on the low end and 160 on the high end, so you may have it on the button. I'll be 48 next month and my biggest buck so far is 120". So, a 155ish buck would be my buck-of-a-lifetime. And, score aside, I think he's a stunner. His score would not do his appearance justice.

#25 ·
.If their are acorns he will eating them till dark.
Closest oak tree is a few miles away. We are mostly overgrown clear cut which is getting to pole timber stage, hemlock swamp, blueberry and ferns in openings and laurel. We do have scattered beech trees making nuts, but they are everywhere. In the bordering SGL, it's mostly mature maple. My guess for where he beds is the steeps and cliffs at the edge of the mountain. There are a few benches and the whole area is blow-downs. So that would make good bedding.

But, I could be wrong. I got trail cam pictures of him recently, much closer to the house. This was on the edge of a swamp. So, I'm back to the drwaing board on thar one. Next time I get to camp will be around 3:00pm on October 20th, so I'll hunt on a whim there and do some scouting that Sunday.

He doesn't show up on camera until at least 11:00pm, so I may have to wait until the rut to connect. We will see. I'm going to try a decoy in a clearing between that swamp and woods. I'll do that in early November. Last HS football game is October 26th, and then I can get to camp on weekends.

#26 ·
Thats what makes trail camming so great, years back it would be rumors that such a buck existed. If you or your clan were to get him it would be great. But its awesome knowing he is out there.

#27 ·
Thats what makes trail camming so great, years back it would be rumors that such a buck existed.
You could try describing him to your hunting buddies, but they would not get an accurate picture in their mind. If you said "he's 30 inches wide if he's an inch", they would tell you you're full of cr@p. :D Not saying he's 30 inches, but I'll bet he's at least 26 outside.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.