The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
At first glance he looks like a smaller copy of the Rompola buck from yesteryear.

Also looks a lot like one my buddy shot on my place about 11 years ago. A 24 1/2" (INSIDE spread) 3.5 year 9-pointer.

Best of luck catching him doing something dumb. Love to see a pic of you with him.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What a great buck and I've enjoyed seeing your pics the last couple years. I hope this year you get a pic of you or your family with him.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would be awesome if my 88 year old dad or my son got him. I'd be happy for anyone I know to get him. Don't want him shot by someone I don't know and I'll never find out what happened to him. I'd at least like to see him up close and put a tape measure on a couple dimensions. :D If one of my buddies got him, I'd offer to pay for the mount if we could hang him at our cabin.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Have you ever laid eyes on him while hunting, or just trail camera pics?
Saw him once while hunting. I was hunting the woods behind our turnip field on the last day of 2016 archery. He was a perfect 5x5 that year. It got too dark to see in the woods but there was still about 15 minutes of legal shooting light left. I decided to climb down and walk the field for the last minutes. He came out in the last 5 minutes of shooting time and jogged straight to me and stopped, broadside at about 50 yards. I thought it was 40 yards and shot under him. He ran about 30 yards and started feeding. I just stood there until dark and he slowly walked away. Won't leave home without a range finder now.

When he ran 30 yards and just stopped, I was praying that he would start swaying and tip over. But, I pretty much knew the arrow went under him. On the bright side, I got to see two more sets of antlers on him.

·
Registered
452 Posts
WOL -- I'm absolutely rooting for you on this buck. The age, body size and unique rack would make for an incredible story. Do you have a specific strategy that you're confident about? Any idea where he is bedding?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts