The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Speaking of European mounts, I would recommend Mountain Mikes European skull kit. I was VERY hesitant to use a fake skull but I didn't have a choice. For $40 bucks, I couldn't be happier. I like it more than the natural European mount I did few years ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Speaking of European mounts, I would recommend Mountain Mikes European skull kit. I was VERY hesitant to use a fake skull but I didn't have a choice. For $40 bucks, I couldn't be happier. I like it more than the natural European mount I did few years ago.
Nice. Why don’t you throw up a pic? Would like to see how it turned out.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Dirt track-I agree with yellowdog regarding Tiffany and Lee, but I have never really been a fan of TV Hunting shows. For the most part their strategies won’t work on pressured properties. I think they would struggle on the SGLs and farms that I have hunted. I learned a lot from spending a ton of time in the woods learning about each property in detail, observing deer, tracks, beds and sign, observing other hunters patterns/activities, reading articles/books, talking to big buck killers, using trail cams, many, many, many mistakes, and etc. I think when you stop educating yourself about hunting big bucks and you think you know it all, you are sure to fail again. I’m always trying to learn more about killing big bucks every day. I don’t know much about you except your name and avatar, which tell me you probably know a little bit about hunting big deer. Do you have any tips or strategies you want to share?
The best tip I can give, you obviously already know: You have to hunt big deer where there are big deer....and they ain't everywhere. Finding one or two areas that produce and hold mature deer is quite fortunate....finding more than that is hitting the lottery, at least in a good portion of Pa.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Looks good, and a good use of space. 4 in one small corner and still some space above for something else. Space is an issue at my house.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks. You have a very impressive collection yourself. I’m sure you’ll add to it this year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The post looks great Junebug. I might steal that idea once the kids are a little older. Wife might kick me out if one of them pulled it over onto themselves. I've used the mountain mikes skull kits too. You can pick them up for under $30 now. If i can find a picture i'll post it up for you to see. I still like my original skulls better but I've used a few of the artificial ones for some big sheds and some shooting mishaps on my dads part where the skull plate was destroyed. Great looking deer room. Congratulations

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is one I did for my dad. He accidentally shot this buck just below the ears and broke the skull plate about 10 years ago. (buck fever maybe??) He just had the horns sitting in the corner along with another buck that fell off the wall. I ordered two kits and fixed them up for fathers day this year. Can you tell they are fake skulls? absolutely. But from a distance they are close enough that it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This one is a set of sheds I found on a mountain mikes skull. Hopefully the pics give you an idea of what they look like and if it’s something you might like to use.
12B98B07-732A-414E-A146-51C3D769985C.jpeg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. Those Mountain Mike euros look nice! I’d like to see that shed buck the following year. Did you get on him?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes and no haha. The sheds are from 2 years ago. This past season I had him at 25 yards with the flintlock and had 3 dry fires. I found his right side in March but never did find the left. I have him nailed down in late season. It’s just a really hard area to hunt.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. Those Mountain Mike euros look nice! I’d like to see that shed buck the following year. Did you get on him?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts