The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my last year archery bucks back a little while ago. Thought I would share a couple pics. I may get some old barn wood or an old fence post and try something different to display. The deer room is a work in progress. These are some of my bow kills at my house. Enjoy and stay safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice bones! Anything on the walls?
DirtTrack- Here are some of my bow kill mounts. I have a few others at my dads and a couple at a friends cabin. I don’t mount many deer now so I have some euros and racks that are very meaningful but did not make the wall as mounts. They are all great deer that I was honored to harvest and some great memories. These challenging times today makes one cherish our hunting rights even more.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the nice words.
Dirt track-In the 80s and 90s I hunted some big woods, as well as ag farmland. But now I stick to farmland because that’s what’s around me and I don’t have the time to travel to big woods. I don’t own or lease any properties. I knock on doors and get permission. I hunt several crop damage farms and most of the properties receive a lot of hunting pressure. Almost all of my bow kills have been taken from different stands and different properties and often times within a 100 yards or less someone else has a setup bc of the amount of pressure. I like the challenge of targeting a specific buck that other guys are hunting and each year I try to locate a buck or two I have history with to chase with my bow. It seems like they usually win, but I have fun doing it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you learn from the pros on TV? What do you think of say Lee &Tiffany?
Dirt track-I agree with yellowdog regarding Tiffany and Lee, but I have never really been a fan of TV Hunting shows. For the most part their strategies won’t work on pressured properties. I think they would struggle on the SGLs and farms that I have hunted. I learned a lot from spending a ton of time in the woods learning about each property in detail, observing deer, tracks, beds and sign, observing other hunters patterns/activities, reading articles/books, talking to big buck killers, using trail cams, many, many, many mistakes, and etc. I think when you stop educating yourself about hunting big bucks and you think you know it all, you are sure to fail again. I’m always trying to learn more about killing big bucks every day. I don’t know much about you except your name and avatar, which tell me you probably know a little bit about hunting big deer. Do you have any tips or strategies you want to share?

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
For you new guys, theres an ongoing thread in the big game forums about hunting mature deer. More input would be most welcome, don't be shy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TIP#1 Hunt for big fresh tracks
I agree with you on hunting fresh big tracks. I have always looked for big tracks and the fresher the better. Hunt them now. I have taken several good bucks over fresh tracks before trail cameras were around. Even with all the cameras now I still look for big tracks when Hunting/scouting, more so than big rubs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts