The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I posted a message on the forum, asking whether I was too old - at age 51 - to learn to shoot and hunt. I was given a lot of encouragement by members here, so I'd like to update those who remember that post.

I have learned to shoot. My husband and I have had about four hours of instruction time, with an NRA instructor, learning to shoot a shotgun. I have my own gun now, a Remington 11-87 20 gauge, and I go to the range each week for practice. My husband decided he preferred a rifle, so he has a .22 Marlin.

We're too inexperienced yet to attempt a hunt this fall, but we're looking forward to the spring turkey season. My next step is to attempt turkey calls.
Well, that oughta be fun! We'll see how that works out.

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone once again for your help and encouragement. It made it easier to take that first step.

LadyPatriot

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!

You are never too old to get started!!!!

Get you and the hubby enrolled in a Hunter Safety Course---There may not be any until Spring but you could check your area on the PGC's web page. You will get some good instruction there!!

Good Luck and glad to have you in our ranks!!

Dave

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Very cool! What marlin rifle did he end up with? One could write a whole library of books on all there is to know about .22 rimfire LOL

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah glad to see another female hunter . You never to old . I am older than you . I still hunt I love the outdoors . I have been sick this bow season I have been out though . But have had a couple of misses on does. Because of the cough . They tested me for the pig flu had to miss work and hunting for that but tests came back fine . Just can't get rid of the cough. There is a big one I am after won't say how many pts.just can't get the fellow close enough . He had me really rattled the other night caught me off guard . I was watching a doe when he poped up from no were . He didnot even bother with her. she all but shoved her tail in his face . He could have gave a rat's behind about her oh my his neck is swelled up . He is a dandy . I am trying to keep my cool on this one hoping to bag him .

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ladypatriot - Good Luck and I hope both you and your husband enjoy the time together outdoors. See you mention that your husband decided on a rifle and plans to hunt turkeys this coming spring season. Note that just shotguns, muzzleloading shotguns and bows are permitted in the spring. The use of rifles is allowed only during the fall. All the regulations are accessible through the Pennsylvania Game Commission website. (In addition, you may want to also get familiar with the blaze orange requirements). Hope you have a great time.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Good luck to you both, if you buy a license only for spring gobbler you wont get full benefit from it... buy it now and hunt some small game in 09 , the way Pa hunting license issue are from Jul 1 to Jun 30 so get it now.....and use it a little....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ladypatriot said:
Several weeks ago I posted a message on the forum, asking whether I was too old - at age 51 - to learn to shoot and hunt. I was given a lot of encouragement by members here, so I'd like to update those who remember that post.

I have learned to shoot. My husband and I have had about four hours of instruction time, with an NRA instructor, learning to shoot a shotgun. I have my own gun now, a Remington 11-87 20 gauge, and I go to the range each week for practice. My husband decided he preferred a rifle, so he has a .22 Marlin.

We're too inexperienced yet to attempt a hunt this fall, but we're looking forward to the spring turkey season. My next step is to attempt turkey calls.
Well, that oughta be fun! We'll see how that works out.

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone once again for your help and encouragement. It made it easier to take that first step.

LadyPatriot
You are never too old! My mom shot this buck when she was 63 and collecting Social Security!LOL, and she has shot a buck or doe every year for as long as I can remember. Oh and she is doing it on two total knee reconstructions

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Congrats to you and your husband for showing intrest and I agree with others, you're never too old to start!

MMGT, that is an awesome buck your mom got! WOW!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts