The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I posted on here in October when I purchased my 4 month old beagle from McApple Beagles. After doing a ton of research and taking the advice of many of you on this forum I've made some great progress with my pup.

Although it took a ton of patience we nailed down the crucial commands, "here" and "woah". After nailing down the obedience I bought some rabbit scent from cabelas and started pulling drags through the back yard leaving a little treat at the end of the trail. I started off with a few straight line drags and then made them increasingly difficult each time we trained, running them around and through some brush, and in zig zags. The pup performed really well. Always following the trail and finding the treat pretty quickly.

He jumped his first rabbit in my uncles backyard on thanksgiving. He caught whiff of the scent and cut right toward some tall dry grasses in my uncles back yard and out jumped the rabbit. Unfortunately my uncle lives in a development and I couldn't let him off the leash to pursue. (too many busy roads).

Now I've had him in the field a few times but I have yet to get him on a rabbit. I usually take him to the blue marsh game lands down here in southeast pa. He listens really well. He doesn't stray too far and always obeys my command. I began thinking of taking him to a starting pen just to introduce him to some rabbits but I can't seem to find any in PA. I don't know anyone personally who runs beagles so I'm not able to get him out there with any other beagles. I was wondering if anyone knew of any starting pens in Pa? Maybe someone who hunts here in the southeast part of the state who wouldn't mind me tagging along (without a gun) just to get the pup some experience. I appreciate the advice and I owe a lot of my success to the tips and pointers I found on this forum. Thanks again.

Good luck the rest of the season!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You need to find the closest Beagle Club and join. They have safe enclosed environments with real bunnies for your leisure, plus, the members will be a wealth of information to help you along. If you post your home town here, someone will be able to direct you immediately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe, I received a pm from one of the members on this forum already and I'll be joining him this weekend to see his beagle club.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts