The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
"Overhyped virus"??? Guess 170,000 ever increasing American Covid deaths in a 4 months will miraculously return to life. "Underhyped Virus" is more reality plus reason why this pandemic is still totally out of control wrecking America.
Sad for those that lost their life to Covid!!! However many the number may actually be!!! Yes very much overhyped for working class aged people and college and school aged kids. The recovery rate is 99.7 % Absolutely NO REASON to shut factories, schools, restaurants, bars and travel down!!! If you are old and compromised health wise you need to take precautions but other then that no way!!!
The Dems know this or otherwise they wouldn’t all be together hundreds of them at a funeral without masks in a church sitting up against each other. Again no one there came down with it.
how many pro athletes have gotten it. Back out playing ball, most didn’t even know they have it.
if you’re old, sick and obese or a smoker not overhyped! Everything will hit you harder when you’re in that kind of condition. Do you really think college football players have anything to worry about with the China flu??? Their grandmother maybe.
80 year old Jack Nicklaus and his wife both had it. Not real health enthusiasts but live a clean lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Some reports that Big Ten looking at possible mid Oct start for football.

Guess the alums and players watching Central Arkansas and Austin Peay get the FCS season going laat week asked WTH are we doing here? On campus with 40,000 others in covid soup and playing ball is gonna hurt me?

The saga continues.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
With so many of the collages that opened with in-person classes now sending students back home and switching over to 100% virtual guess the only football we might see on Saturdays will be Madden Collage 2020/21.

Hope they base their logic on player safety and not the 100 million dollars they might miss out on.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Pitt won big, WVU won big, Sooners rolled, Trevor Lawrence looks as expected as Clemson up two dozen.

PSU watching on TV. Wulf and Dr. Levine happy.

WPIAL had lots of good games. Hopefully the live stream servers weren't too stressed so PSU could watch them too.

The "BIG" blew it. Went conf only, released a schedule, then called it off. WAAAAY too soon. Could have taken a wait and see.

Forget football. High school and college age young people are NOT going to social distance. Classes or not, football or not, they are gonna congregate. End of story. Deal with it. Gonna happen either way, might as well play ball. All sports.

The whale pants wearin', RV not tailgatin', recruiting in the crapper BIG Ten alums have to be beside themselves.

They shouldn't worry, the Dems will again flout the "pandemic" to draw attention away from Biden using teleprompters since he's not capable of independent thought.

Big Ten linked themselves to California and Oregon. Enough said.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ah, the Irish, that bastion of ACC football......

When ND links up with a conference that is a go, verses no-go, ya gotta think that maybe the Big Ten was a bit quick to blink.

Heck, all the players might test positive and that ends all of it. But if they do, I bet its the extra-curricular activites thats the culprit.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Big Ten reversed course and is now going to resume play the weekend of October 23-24.
Looks like the schools have parted ways with the media hype and have decided things based on evidence instead of emotions and propaganda. (y)

·
Premium Member
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
This just happen?? Gee....I thought that was decided a while back when most of our High Schools started playing football & other sports well before Labor Day??

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Just announced this morning. They met over the weekend to discuss it, voted on it last night.
Prior to this announcement, they weren't planning to play until "Spring Semester" (February?) at the earliest.

·
Premium Member
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Just announced this morning. They met over the weekend to discuss it, voted on it last night.
Prior to this announcement, they weren't planning to play until "Spring Semester" (February?) at the earliest.
Great News!! Looks like I will watch some football after all this season!! This will greatly put some money in PSU's coffer from nationally televised coverage!! I'm sure Franklin is smiling ear to ear!!:)

WE ARE!!!!!

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
That's over a month away....with Centre County being a current hot spot, I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully things don't get worse, and they do play......

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
That's over a month away....with Centre County being a current hot spot, I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully things don't get worse, and they do play......
Well unless the virus mutates into a strain that has more of an impact on the under 60 demographic, "worse" will only be media and Wolf spin...
But we all know that's coming regardless the actual numbers/data next month.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Well unless the virus mutates into a strain that has more of an impact on the under 60 demographic, "worse" will only be media and Wolf spin...
But we all know that's coming regardless the actual numbers/data next month.
You have a valid point, but those calling the shots, whether it be Wolf and Levine (which at present seem to be letting things up to the schools) , the individual schools, or the Conference, are going to be looking at the numbers. If the number of cases in Centre County continue to increase, PSU may have no choice but to opt out.

Not saying I agree with opting out of the season, just saying it could happen.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Guess to an extent that'll depend on how successful/quick Wolf his with his appeals to Federal Court...
I think the court decision was only in regard to business closure. I don't think it effects his lordship's powers in other aspects of covid mandates, but I'm not certain.

Plus, it is very likely the school could shut things down if the numbers continue to rise in Centre County, with no input from the Gov. A lot of money involved for sure, but the safety factor (maybe even valid, IDK) or perceived safety factor if you prefer, may trump those dollars.

I know I'm not buying the beer for the game day party until that morning.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The ruling specifically mentioned school closures as well as the loss of assembly rights and "mandates" enacted by his executive orders, as well as those enacted by Dr Frankenfurter.
In short, the judge stated that Wolf and Frankenfurter's handling of the issue violated the Rights of every Pennsylvanian (whether they objected to the actions or not) and were unconstitutional.

The way I see it, unless Wolf can win an appeal quickly, we are safe from further closures or restrictions, as ordering them without such an appeal stay or victory would amount to contempt, and would likely result in a rather rapid response from the court (and possibly open him up to further liability).

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
The ruling specifically mentioned school closures as well as the loss of assembly rights and "mandates" enacted by his executive orders, as well as those enacted by Dr Frankenfurter.
In short, the judge stated that Wolf and Frankenfurter's handling of the issue violated the Rights of every Pennsylvanian (whether they objected to the actions or not) and were unconstitutional.

The way I see it, unless Wolf can win an appeal quickly, we are safe from further closures or restrictions, as ordering them without such an appeal stay or victory would amount to contempt, and would likely result in a rather rapid response from the court (and possibly open him up to further liability).
If this is the case and the ruling stands, I agree with your assessment of Wolf's ability to shut things down. As of late Wolf has been pretty hands off on schools, anyhow.

I really think a more likely shutdown of PSU foorball would come from the school itself, or the conference. Here is the parameters they will be operating under. Given the current state of affairs in Centre County, the numbers may reach these levels ....I hope not, but certainly a pragmatic concern. I'm not certain of what is meant by "population positivity rate" in the paramters outlined below, but the County wide rate for Centre County was 9.2% this past Friday, and most of the cases are concentrated around the State College area.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I did see the breaking news this morning BIG10 resumes to play in October, heck yeah something to look forward too now watch my Buckeyes.

I did see the latest covid-19 cases update this afternoon Centre county 59 more brings total to 1508. Unbelievable, IDK PSU might not play if this keeps going North. I sure hope so, PSU-OSU now thats a game not to miss.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
My son’s a senior at PSU, and he called me and everyone has it. He had it in March, and he says he was tested Monday and does not have it. Maybe he can’t get it again.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts