The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Some of the earliest reports of waivers were about OSU, and it was discussed one morning on sports radio.

The "waiver" is first an acknowledgement that the athlete understands there is risk, their chances of getting covid are not zero. It also was a "pledge" that they will follow the protocols, report immedately if they feel sick, and so on.

So the notion the athletes are signing away their right is not accurate.

If today in their hometown they go to the store, they are at risk of covid, dying in a car wreck, or being killed by an armed robber at the store, or hit by lightning in the parking lot. The odds of each of those risks is different, small, but not zero.

In rough numbers PA has 93K cases, and declares 77% "recovered" if they do not die or retest positive in 30 days. And NO WHERE has anyone said people are contagious for 30 days. Two weeks seems to be the accepted threshold.

Ignoring the last part, with 77 percent recovered means there are 21K people right now as "active" covid in a state of nearly 12 million. And to me the description of the PA data includes positive antibody tests.

I think the odds of a player having serious issues with covid is less than getting a very serious, life changing injury. More risk that a player could spread it to older family and friends.

But people on this thread have blamed others not following protocols as the reason for the so-called surge.

The "surge" is based in younger people, going to bars, parties, social mosh pits. And yes, protests. Few weeks after chaos in the streets, lots more corona, but media wont call a spade a spade.

I think you can make sports relatively safe. Obviously more risky than mundane activities like shopping or haircuts.

I dont think you can ever change the behaviors of younger people. They are hormone charged, bulletproof, invincible party and romance machines. In their own minds.

You will not keep those young people apart. The Call of the Wild is too strong.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I seriously thinking canceling my tv network till spring 2021. I watch college football games throughout the fall & winter the bowl games. Sport channel's have no high lights on any sports. BTN won't be the same, just talk is all they do now. I listen to the radio more then watching tv these days. I'll save my $ the monthly cost for tv is now worth it to me any longer.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I seriously thinking canceling my tv network till spring 2021. I watch college football games throughout the fall & winter the bowl games. Sport channel's have no high lights on any sports. BTN won't be the same, just talk is all they do now. I listen to the radio more then watching tv these days. I'll save my $ the monthly cost for tv is now worth it to me any longer.
I agree as I watch zero Pro football.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ivy League Places All Sports on Hold Until January
The league’s decision could be influential for other university presidents as they consider how to handle the coronavirus pandemic. It is the first Division I conference to suspend football for the fall.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
NCAA President Mark Emmert's iput(below) on chances of Fall football season. Reading between the lines coupled with recent bleak C19 status...seems they're close to a total flush:

Fall Season Outlook: College Football

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
PSU is only holding 20% of their class in person, if its too dangerous for students, its too dangerous for jockstraps. Unless of course we are working double standards.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
PSU is only holding 20% of their class in person, if its too dangerous for students, its too dangerous for jockstraps. Unless of course we are working double standards.
Nah....who would ever even remotely think there could be "double standards" involved in the $10 BILLION plus revenue producing college sports!! LOL

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Smaller schools like the PSAC looking at doing the fall sports in the spring.

You know, after the elect....., er I mean after a cure.

The Power 5 and NCAA dont like that as it would overlap football and basketball and thus compete for ratings and dollars.

You do know the NCAA makes very little off of football? The big TV contacts are with the conferences. Most of the NCAA revenue comes from March Madness. So look for the NCAA to make sure hoops happen.

They can play hoops after the elect.....er, I mean after the cure is found.

College can do online classes as much as they want. Work colleague has a son at PSU Erie. Three of five classes online, but they pay full freight for room and board. Supposed to stay in dorm when not at class.

Right............

Parties will happen. 100% guaranteed. No way to stop.it, so herd immunity on campus is the only solution right now.

When the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 cancel or delay all fall sports (and not just move non-revenue sports to spring) then you know they have no solution.

But if the "big time" college football is on your TV with 20,000 people in the 80,000 seat stadium, that will tell the tale.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I wpuld be shocked if the NCAA did jack squat to cancel seasons or sports, they will let that fall to the conferences or individual schools.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Sounds like any NCAA decision would be directed towards cancelling championships:

NCAA

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Different media outlets reporting a covid outbreak on Rutgers football team may be linked to a party on campus.

Ya think?

This one was not hard to predict. It will continue, once thousands of young people end up on campus, it will be The September Surge.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts