The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
There will be football unless there is a major breakout at the university. The university has already set aside one of their motels for covid patients. PSU faculty is is balking at teaching in person classes, expect the football team to be isolated from the university students, talking online classes.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
There is no such thing as being "isolated from university students" on any college in America.

You won't have online parties and online drinking. People quaintly call them "semesters" when in reality you have the Fall Rut and the Spring Rut.

In other words, coronavirus, administrative procedures, Zoom classrooms, and rules made up by crustry old academic types have no chance against The Call of The Wild of young prople agded 18 to 22.

The Bird and The Bees will indeed intermingle. If they are on campus, the parties and all that will happen. Not might. Will.

You're delusional if you think anything except total campus shutdown and evacuation will stop it.

Its one of those rubber-meets-the-road moments. Put the health and well being of thousands of student athletes at risk, or lose a billion dollars. But if (and I said "if") the truth is, covid-19 itself is not generally that bad, of course they can play! But YOU general public, you have to wear masks and keep your businesses closed. Kiss my ...........

Not to many things in life are certain. Death, taxes, and college parties are three of them.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just read that the NCAA Division Centennial Conference has cancelled ALL Fall sports seasons. In my neck of the woods impacts F&M, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Susquehanna, Johns Hopkins & some others.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
The Ivy league has also cancelled all fall sports and said basketball would not start until January at the earliest.

Ohio state shut down all sports training for now due to Covid problems. USC is not holding in person classes this fall, dont see how they could allow sporting events if its too dangerous for students to be in the classroom.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Only plus side is when we're out hunting this fall we won't be thinking about an important football game we're missing. Certain BIG games I had my Walkman w/earbuds on. Not sure how many bucks that has cost me!! lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Only plus side is when we're out hunting this fall we won't be thinking about an important football game we're missing. Certain BIG games I had my Walkman w/earbuds on. Not sure how many bucks that has cost me!! lol
LOL! I've admitted here previously to actually watching PSU games on an iPad in my blind. Hasn't cost me any harvests. In fact, I'm convinced deer like Mel Brooks movies, as I've taken several during "blind screenings" over the lunch hours in recent years.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
LOL! I've admitted here previously to actually watching PSU games on an iPad in my blind. Hasn't cost me any harvests. In fact, I'm convinced deer like Mel Brooks movies, as I've taken several during "blind screenings" over the lunch hours in recent years.
Yup....thats what I try tell myself too.... playing with those electronic gadgets while on stand hasn't cost me any harvests either!! So far I believe myself....sorta!! lol

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Well......it's starting to shape-up that BIG $$$$(BILLIONS) & politics are starting to take a back seat to the athletes health. If i had a student/athlete involved I'd be both disappointed but comforted.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well......it's starting to shape-up that BIG $$$$(BILLIONS) & politics are starting to take a back seat to the athletes health. If i had a student/athlete involved I'd be both disappointed but comforted.
The student athletes are at more risk going to and from the events than they are from the virus.

Reactions: Wingatchtochwilsit

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
If the seasons get cancelled, students will still get their education, and isn't that why they are in college?

PSU just shut down all Frat activities, if thats to big a risk for Covid, couldn't the same be said for sports?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think it's a safe wager that the rate of disease transfer is several orders of magnitude higher at Frat events than at sporting events....

My prediction: More college students will die from alcohol poisoning and bar fights than Covid over the next 12 months, no matter what Covid precautions are in place or not.
I'll entertain any and all wagers to the contrary.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Like I said many times......all the nonchalant/cavalier behavior, mask wearing defiance, disbelief of medical experts, etc will eventually come back & bite us all in the arse as it is currently unfolding. We should have this totally in our rear view mirrors by now like many countries who took things seriously. We can argue all we want here but as we hem & haw....reality has unfortunately arrived. Bottomline....the virus is winning & we are losing. An outcome that never should of happened.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Like I said many times......all the nonchalant/cavalier behavior, mask wearing defiance, disbelief of medical experts, etc will eventually come back & bite us all in the arse as it is currently unfolding. We should have this totally in our rear view mirrors by now like many countries who took things seriously. We can argue all we want here but as we hem & haw....reality has unfortunately arrived. Bottomline....the virus is winning & we are losing. An outcome that never should of happened.
I am not taking it nonchalantly. But the statistics show that a healthy 20 year old college athlete does NOT have to worry about this disease. Passing it along to others that do have to worry about it? There's the issue. But it is certainly not the "health of the athlete" that should be a concern. They will be fine.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I am not taking it nonchalantly.....
Yep me neither as I along with my family follow the CDC's along with Gov Wolf's guidelines to a T & then some!! Problem is way too many others don't which is why we're currently paying the price of their ignorant noncompliance.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wait, you're blaming those who gathered and/or don't wear masks on the continued requirements to wear masks and restrictions on gatherings and business?
It would "all be behind us" if they'd only complied?
OK... what numbers back that up? Or back up any of Wolf and Levine's actions?
The numbers I've seen show it's "been behind us" since late April...

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Big 10 just announced that ONLY conference football games will be played this season.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yep me neither as I along with my family follow the CDC's along with Gov Wolf's guidelines to a T & then some!! Problem is way too many others don't which is why we're currently paying the price of their ignorant noncompliance.
Thought you left the political spectrum Loggy? I could call it ignorant blind compliance.............but I won't. We can't play football because everyone won't wear masks............Wow! Reckon you're waiting it out? Gonna get you anyway. You have a 99.87 chance of surviving it though unless you are still watching cnn, then you'll have brain damage, no smell, no taste, antibodies only last a month, get it over and over, did I miss anything?

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Guess your perspective depends on where you live. I'm in western Centre county, nothing here. There are still counties in NC and NW Pa that havent hit double digits. Tell me why we should bow down to those draconian rules when we have no Covid around. Maybe we should ban people from travelling from high covid counties to low covid counties?

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Americans only have themselves to blame for why we are still in this mess. We are still clamoring away and trying to put out fires when this virus should have been in the rear view mirror by now if folks did what they are supposed to do. Back in April was our chance to really knock this virus back and open up but we failed miserably due to the many cavalier attitudes that exist in this country.

We will see outbreaks at sports facilities or players testing positive which will result in the fall sports season being pretty much a shadow of it former self. Fall college sports is as much about the fans as it is the players and the games. Without fans and limited schedules, which it sounds like will be standard operating procedure, not sure there is any point to any of it.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts