The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Examples: Crows,sparrows and coyotes. Coyotes not worth their fur prices to skin or even drive to a fur buyer.

Are you allowed to leave them lay where they die at or must they be gathered up? On ones own property let them lay.
It says to retrieve,but it doesn't say I have to take them with me. More input on this please.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I don't think you are allowed to just leave them there. I am pretty sure you must legally dispose of them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
So if coyotes are not worth the time to skin or drive to a fur dealer and the other stuff isn't even worth picking up, why are they worth the time to pursue or even expend a shell on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JTGuy said:
So if coyotes are not worth the time to skin or drive to a fur dealer and the other stuff isn't even worth picking up, why are they worth the time to pursue or even expend a shell on?
It's the sport along with trying to help other wildlife have a chance. Coyotes are considered nuisance animal.
A large rodent like a mouse. They are the only predator that can be hunted 24/7. That has no limit and no close season on them should explain enough about them. Along with able to hunt them with dogs says they are not wanted here in our state. It is impossible to eradicate them now,but it can only help a bit to kill as many as possible.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I never liked killing things just to kill it no matter what it acused of. My line of thinking is if it ain't going to be used in some way I ain't going to kill it. Heck I eat deer to and know one shot me yet. I guess that just the way I was brought up.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Beaver Boy, not to call you out on this, but I was just curious. I've been having this discussion with a lot of folks over the last couple of weeks and would like to know the following. Do you fish with live bait? Do you kill insects in your house or try to catch them and leave them go? I'm not trying to start an arguement, I just like to hear others opinions on the matter. I do however try to use what I can out of the animal I shoot. I don't just let fox lay. I give them to my buddy who is a trapper. For me, I don't mind killing animals for sport or to keep their population in check. Again, please don't think I'm calling you out, I just like to hear where people stand on it.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You can't eradicate coyotes. Like groundhogs.....you can't eradicate those creatures either. I've shot 'hog after 'hog from the same fields year after year. They are like insurance salesmen. They just keep comin back. This one looks just like the last one....and acts just like the last one....and if he could talk, he'd probably try to sell you a policy.

Coyotes need shot. Coyotes need to be frightened to death of humans so they don't try to eat our pets or our small children. They need shot so they don't eat all the wild turkey or the spring fawn that are dropped.

Worried about Coyotes? Don't be. Shoot one today and just know that there are thousands more out there that are waiting to be shot tomorrow.

Dave

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
So...if I kill a crow in the mountains do I have to pack 'em out??

Muab Dib (who just ain't gon'a do it)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh yes the old crow cart I have one also,Im all for shooting coyotes,Maybe you can find a friend that wants the hide??

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Just curious as to what the response would be if the same question was posed about deer? There are many people who think them to be nuisance vermin. Would anybody defend someone who wanted to shoot deer and let them rot?

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's just like possums around here.. i will kill everyone that i see,, why? because they are no good and they come in the yard and start fights with the cats...hence why i had to go to the vet and put a cat down acouple of years ago... he got the short end of a possum vs cat fight..... Do i use the possum for anything? No! Same goes for groundhog hunting,,, you dont knock the population down your soon gona have horses breaking their legs along with other animals, breaking equipment axle's, and even breaking your own leg in the holes in the winter (yes i know someone that did that). do many people eat the groundhogs after they kill them? some, but very few, most leave them for dinner for yotes, fox or the birds..

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I used to eat woodchucks. But for the last many years I just snipe them and bury them and tell the farmer on the way home what the tally is. Several years ago I hunted a farm where the farmer wanted them to eat but he eventually gave that up and told me to just bury them. I asked a local taxidermist about getting one mounted and he wanted $350. He said they hide of a groundhog "slips" very easily and they were dificault to mount so he charged a high price to discourage people.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
hey jimsdad, why in the world would you want to get a groundhog mounted.........
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~that said, check mine out

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yo i have ground hog mounted standing on flat rock. don;t know why' as for the game clean up, some can become food for others. this is how it goes thow eyes in front of head close together = hunters eyes side of head and large for head size= prey. we are the predators, animals have no soul so they are here for us. i trap mice and i don't eat them. it's something like big fish little fish...later

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Well - some of the guys at work had a woodchuck as part of their logo and considered the beast to be an official mascot. A guy asked me to shoot one - have it mounted and present him with the bill. Once I told him how much it would cost they decided to go with a plush Kowala Bear that someones wife rearrnaged to look like a woodchuck. True story -- honest. That, buy the way, is one fugly looking woodchuck 'ya got there!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
inbred said:
Just curious as to what the response would be if the same question was posed about deer? There are many people who think them to be nuisance vermin. Would anybody defend someone who wanted to shoot deer and let them rot?
Well....if you do and get "caught" that will get you a fine, loss of license and stuff, 'n stuff, 'n stuff. It's just not legal to do that with deer.

Groundhogs on the other hand, are legal to shoot, bury, left lay for other scavengers to eat, or simply rot in the sun for a few days.

But then, I don't know if you can comprehend the difference between the two types of animals.

Google them on the internet. Read about them. Study the differences between them. One lives in a hole in the ground. The other one doesn't. That's just one difference. One is considered part of the rodent family. The other one is a groundhog.

Dave

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
inbred said:
Hypothetically I would defend them...

If the PGC passed law that you can kill deer 24/7 365 and said you didn't have to retrieve them.

Would I do it? Absolutely not! However, I don't make the laws and have no problems with guys who follow the law. Until they start making ethics into laws (IE another guy posts 5 feet from you on the first day of rifle) I'll always defend the guy who abides by the laws that are set in place. What some guys don't get, nobody in particular, is that we as hunters can't make a difference on our own. Laws have to be in place for people to abide by them. Just like trying to re-establish the deer numbers by hunter self control. That will never work. Improve the habitat and managing the herd through allocations is the only way.

As long as your within the letter of the law, then so be it.

I think we have too many hawks, but I don't shoot them just because that's my stance. It's illegal, therefore, I don't do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts