The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our usual work detail at camp this weekend and since I am one of the younger members, my job is cutting firewood. After 1 trip of filling of the truck with wood, we decided we might as well get another load. We finish cutting the second load of wood and begin to load the cut logs on the truck, as we are loading the wood we notice what looks to be like a nail head in one of the cut logs. Since we dont want to burn the nail in our wood stove, we grab a flat head screwdriver and begin to dig out the dead wood to remove the nail. Well, to our surprise the metal object wasnt a nail, but a round ball, the sawman cutoff about a 1/4 of the ball when he was cutting wood. Some of the members figure the ball to be around 50-60 years old, depending on the rings of the tree.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
that is pretty cool!!!!!!! Now I know why my neighbor makes me metal detect logs before he will cut them

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Ya, to me, 50-60 years seems conservatively low based on the rings I can see starting close to center. Not saying Civil War Era, etc... but the rings look very tight, which can denote a slow growth tree, bad growing conditions, etc.... Looks to me to be more than 50 or so rings to the ball.

Ahhhh... Jeepers. Scratch that. I'm plum countin from the wrong way.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
remember, the ball penetrated "who knows how many" rings. counting the rings after the bullet isn't going to tell you anything unless I'm missing something?! From looking at the entrance pattern, it appears it entered about 1inch from the outside, so maybe 10yrs?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4c_game_chaser said:
remember, the ball penetrated "who knows how many" rings. counting the rings after the bullet isn't going to tell you anything unless I'm missing something?! From looking at the entrance pattern, it appears it entered about 1inch from the outside, so maybe 10yrs?
I just assumed that the ball didnt enter the tree completely, I assumed that counting from the end of the circle from the ball to the outside of the tree is a fair estimate.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
I dont know, if the ball hit that tree with anyforce why isnt it deformed, darn thing looks like you could just load it up and shoot it (if it where whole)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is how Im thinking. Measure from the outside of the ball to the outside of the tree and count the rings. I'm thinking like Ghost is, if there was any significant penetration, you would think the ball would be more deformed.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Judging by the pics, that's fairly new, but way cool. I have a few bullets I've cut out of trees over the years.
Really old stuff is way deep. I know of objects like horseshoes, hatchets, etc. all been cut out by people I know. I have buggered countless chains on barb wire, that's for sure !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pretty neat. I recently found an intact bullet in the dead center of a 15-20" locust tree on our property. I'm pretty sure it was a clean miss during rifle season. Now whether it was me, my brother,or dad, that makes for some good story telling.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
That's pretty cool but I'm thinking penetration too. Looks like someone was muzzleloader hunting and needed to discharge at the end of the day and picked the closest tree. I've never seen a ball shot at a tree and not penetrate and remain intact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts