The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use your buck tag to take a doe in late season or is this only with a muzzleloader?

It doesn't clearly state this in the digest.

"An antlerless deer license is valid only in the Wildlife Management Unit designated.
The use or attempted use of an antlerless license in another WMU is
a violation of the law. During the after Christmas flintlock season, an unused
buck tag can be used to harvest one antlerless deer anywhere in the state. A
WMU specific antlerless license is required for each additional antlerless deer
harvested."

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
only with a flintlock . you cannot use it as a doe tag if using your bow .

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
stupid law, i understand that a muzzy doesnt have a high success rate but certainly a bow is no better. Why that becomes an anterless tag and the others dont is baffling.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
jlh42581 said:
stupid law, i understand that a muzzy doesnt have a high success rate but certainly a bow is no better. Why that becomes an anterless tag and the others dont is baffling.
I think that comes from The Other Era when there were not a gazillion antlerless tags, and all the previous rules.

I suppose some of the thought process is that archers already have six weeks (or more in SRAs) to hunt, just about anyone who wants a doe tag can get one, thus if you want to kill a doe or three for venison you have ample chances already.

The flintlock crowd (not including that early inline season) only has limited time, often if dicey weather, and so if they still have a buck tag, just shoot anything assuming you could hit it anyway.

However, not a whole lot of bow hunters out there in the Frozen Tundra this time of year, and the cold makes it that much harder to get a good shot, half frozen and bundled up like an Inuit. Might as well have a universal rule for late season, a buck tag is an any-deer tag.

I'd have to disagree that in terms of the "average" skill level of flintlock shooters vs bow hunters, a bow is a much more lethal weapon! I know some hunters are exceptionally proficient with the flint and spark, but I know a LOT more who have missed standing deer cleanly inside of 15 yards.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
I believe that crossbow users, with a muzzleloader tag, can also use their back tag for either in the late season.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Tplank if I remember correctly that was before full inclusion. Maybe a WCO will chime in here, but I think that only with the flintlock in the late season can you now use your buck tag for an antlerless deer.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'd have to disagree that in terms of the "average" skill level of flintlock shooters vs bow hunters, a bow is a much more lethal weapon! I know some hunters are exceptionally proficient with the flint and spark, but I know a LOT more who have missed standing deer cleanly inside of 15 yards.

I'd say that Flintlocks are much more of a lethal weapon than a bow. They can kill out to 150 or better if your good! I know many a good Flintlocker.

As far as the buck tag for a doe thing. It's flintlock only. I would never blow a buck tag though I'd rather eat it and hold out to the last possible minute of the last day.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Since crossbows became legal archery equipment that isnt the case anymore. When the crossbows guys had to buy the muzzleloader stamp yes then you could do that. Now to take a doe with a bow or crossbow in late season you have to have an antlerless tag for the WMU your hunting in.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Remember back in the day you had to give up your doe application to get a flinter tag? This is maybe why they let you shoot a doe with you buck tag.

·
Banned
629 Posts
DrewMc said:
Can you use your buck tag to take a doe in late season or is this only with a muzzleloader?

It doesn't clearly state this in the digest.

"An antlerless deer license is valid only in the Wildlife Management Unit designated.
The use or attempted use of an antlerless license in another WMU is
a violation of the law. During the after Christmas flintlock season, an unused
buck tag can be used to harvest one antlerless deer anywhere in the state. A
WMU specific antlerless license is required for each additional antlerless deer
harvested."
The PGC should do away with this law. With the amount of WMU Antlerless tags given out it's not needed. If you want to hunt flintlock after Christmas then save an antlerless tag for the late season.

·
Registered
737 Posts
berksbowman said:
Remember back in the day you had to give up your doe application to get a flinter tag? This is maybe why they let you shoot a doe with you buck tag.
I believe that is how it got started but now that it has changed I have no idea why you still can use the buck tag for a doe anywhere. It make no sense.

·
Banned
629 Posts
It's not nearly as low impact as it used to be. The PGC should track and publish the harvest numbers for the Late Flintlock season for everyone to see.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
PerryTuscarora said:
It's not nearly as low impact as it used to be. The PGC should track and publish the harvest numbers for the Late Flintlock season for everyone to see.
Please explain the numbers you are using to come to that conclusion.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Are there more or less Muzzleloader Licenses sold now then way back in the day?

The only numbers we have to look at are License sales.

I have never seen a published record of just how many deer are harvested in the Late Flintlock season only. The only numbers the PGC has put out are the yearly totals taken by all Muzzleloader hunters in all seasons. So, absent an actual harvest report for the Late Flintlock season the only numbers to look at are the Muzzleloader License sales. So, how do we really know if the Late Flintlock season is still as low of an impact as it used to be? Logic would say more License sales = a larger harvest of both bucks and does in the Late Flintlock season.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I was told by a friend who swore that a WCO had told him YES you can use a bow for that either sex clause in the late season as long as you have a muzzleloader stamp. An archer hunting late season without the muzzleloader stamp could not. The reason being that while participating in the muzzleloader hunt(buying the stamp)gives you the legal entitlement to the privileges of that season (as opposed to only hunting late archery which runs concurrent but is not the same season as muzzleloader) requires purchase of said muzzleloader stamp, the bow is still a legal weapon of choice for use in flintlock season. If that only confuses the situation more, I apologize!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts