The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Second Amendment Forum the subject came up about being sent something and then being given a bill for it. After that, being turned into a collection agency because of a refusal to pay.

Post Office Operations Manual (POM)

17-11.2 Unsolicited Mail
Federal Law prohibits the shipment of unordered merchandise. Such a practice may constitute an unfair trade practice. Merchandise mailed in violation of the US Code may be treated as a gift by the recipient without any obligation to the sender. The laws governing this practice are enforced by the Federal Trade Commission.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Direct Marketing (Remove name)

Also brought up in the Second Amendment Forum..unwanted "junk" mail.

Post Office Operations Manual (POM)

17-11.3 Direct Marketing (Remove Name)
Some consumers would like to receive less advertising mail at home. Mail Preference Service (MPS), a service of the Direct Marketing Association, helps decrease the amount of national non profit or commercial mail customers receive. To register with the name removal file, customers should write to the following:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 643
Carmel NY 10512-0643

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Yep and the scam works both ways. Some folks have "friends" order things for them, and then they claim it is not ordered to get out of paying. Kids also sometimes order things and being under 18, usually have no legal liability to pay for the item.

Good law to prevent abuse by slime ball companies used by slime balls to rip off legit companies.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zimmerstutzen said:
Yep and the scam works both ways. Some folks have "friends" order things for them, and then they claim it is not ordered to get out of paying. Kids also sometimes order things and being under 18, usually have no legal liability to pay for the item.

Good law to prevent abuse by slime ball companies used by slime balls to rip off legit companies.
That's the reason smart companies/people require payment before they ship.

Do you remember the record offers where for 1 cent, you could get a number of free selections with a requirement of purchasing X amount over the next year at club prices? LOL. I remember a case of a kid ordering. He enjoyed them...until his mother started to get the monthly record selection mail from the company. She packed them up and sent them back. Come to think of it, I never saw that kid again????

I remember....a seed company that went bankrupt because they were giving kids garden seeds to sell with their promise to return a portion of the sales to the company. I think they were advertising on the back of comic books if I remember correct. They knew they were dealing with kids under age.

Record clubs..books clubs...the seed sale example???? Those companies were not guilty of anything...but they did seat themselves, in the fraud enviroment.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
I have an old mail order cat of Col Whelen's sporting goods company. (Based in Wash DC) They actually sold guns and ammo on installment plans. My how times have changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts