The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the safety zone regarding unoccupied cabins on state park or state forest lands. These are seasonal cabins that rarely see use in the winter.

I think I know the answer bur just verifying.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
TPlank said:
What's the safety zone regarding unoccupied cabins on state park or state forest lands. These are seasonal cabins that rarely see use in the winter.

I think I know the answer bur just verifying.

Thanks
Plank,

It is a Safety Zone No matter if someone is in it 1 day a year or 365 days a year!

IF someone can happen along and be in it, using it, it is a Safety Zone!

Unoccupied Sheds, Unoccupied cabins, unoccupied homes(Bank For Closer, no one living in them at the currect time)ECT..

Don't matter... they be safety zones like all buildings with people in them every day of the year!

Don't matter what DCNR says, PGC sets the laws, so you have to follow the Safety Zone laws set forth by the PGC!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
You would think these cabins would be in the state park of forest safety zone. Most parks have maps with these areas off limits to hunting.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
... Don't matter what DCNR says, PGC sets the laws, so you have to follow the Safety Zone laws set forth by the PGC!
Unless the cabin is in a DCNR area that is posted to create a more restrictive "safety zone", or area off limits to hunting.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
LJ Drake said:
You would think these cabins would be in the state park of forest safety zone. Most parks have maps with these areas off limits to hunting.
Yes, state parks are pretty explicite as to where you can and cannot hunt. Get a map of the park from the office.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I found the answer I was looking for. The cabins are considered occupied even though no one is present. Just like you home while you are at work.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Any building, shed, outhouse makes the safety zone.

When I am at camp and a nearby camp is empty, shutters closed, gate locked; I don't see why I can't walk by to access the area behind the lease. Some camps are close enough that you can't walk between them and not violate a safety zone. There is an access road that runs behind my cabin & people park at it's gate and hunt up the road thru my safety zone.

The next camp up the road is across the road has a trail from the outhouse down into the SF that avoids having to walk thru the most ankle twisting bunch of rocks in the Poconos. Fortunately I know the owner and have his permission to hunt in his safety zone although I wouldn't do it if he was present at the cabin. We also check each other's buildings to make sure there were no breakins.

It is the day users who really disregard the rules. We've gone home on Wed. and returned on Friday after a snow on Thurs to find foot prints all around the cabin and evidence that someone decided to target practice into a tree on the edge of our lease and well within the safety zone. That tree is the uphill anchor to one line of tapped maple trees for the 'sugar shack' nearby and the flagging tape they leave on it may be why the slob chose it as his target.

I was sweating the fact that we could be blammed for the bullet damage!

We've returned from a day hunting nearby to find guys parked at our camp hunting behind the building. Our place is not gated and is close to the road so these guys were within 100 yards of a busy paved road...real hunters!

How should we handle walking near a lease camp? There are lot's of them along access roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts