The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Unloading

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Sidney Smith 
Freytown said:
As long as the primer is out it’s considered “un-loaded”. I have left the powder in for the whole week and never had a problem. If it was a rainy, wet day however, I will remove the breach plug and remove the powder. FT
This is something that I would like to have clarified . My manual for my flinter says that it is considered loaded when the charge is in the baral . Which is it ? If the fact is that it is not loaded in till the primer in in then some one should tell them that they are misleading .

duckman76 said:
MuzzleMike said:
Freytown said:
As long as the primer is out it’s considered “un-loaded”. I have left the powder in for the whole week and never had a problem. If it was a rainy, wet day however, I will remove the breach plug and remove the powder. FT
This is something that I would like to have clarified . My manual for my flinter says that it is considered loaded when the charge is in the baral . Which is it ? If the fact is that it is not loaded in till the primer in in then some one should tell them that they are misleading .
The reason your gun manual says that is for liability reasons. You can not get shot with an empty gun. Most shooting ranges consider it loaded if there is a charge in the barrel. The PGC lets you carry it as long as it does not have an ignition source. I hope this clears up the difference in what you are reading.

Thanks Duckman.

That is what I thought . Myself I will carry the muzzle loader in my car going from spot to spot Dooring a day of hunting but it will get unloaded at the end of the day . I just like a clean gun when I put it away . Thanks Duckman .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.