The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a pre-1964 Winchester 700, bolt action chambered in .308. It came with a scope, brand name "Universal". Was planning on putting a newer piece of glassware on it but I put a handle of rounds through it and, with a couple clicks, dialed-in this baby to murderous perfection. Will probably use it opening day. Has anyone ever heard of Universal? My uncle originally bought this gun in the early 1950's so I'm guessing the scope dates from that era.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Does it say where it was made? Newer scopes have updated technology. First, I would do a freeze test on it and then a water test. If it passes those, you should be gtg

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
I think Universal scopes back then were made by a Japanese company. Can't remember the name though.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The only one in my book branded "Universal" was a line of imported scopes (Japan?) and sold by the Universal Firearms Corp of Hialeah FL 1969 thru 1982. It was most likely bought and installed sometime 1969 or later.

Bill

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would see how it performs in low light before I hunted with it. Also, if it's going to see foul weather I would more than likely replace with a gloss Leupold in the 2.5-8 or 3-9 range.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My grandfather's deer rifle sported a Universal brand 2.5X-8X scope. IIRC, he bought the scope in 1972 before his trip to Wyoming for a Mule deer hunt (he shot a big 5X5). They were made in Japan and at the time were a decent, economy scope. I hunted with Pap's rifle a few years until I shot a deer with it and had the scope out in all kinds of weather. It never fogged or gave me any troubles. I took it off of his '06 and put it on my 9 year old's .22 rifle. It still is clear and holds zero perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts