The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought a new Silverado that we will be picking up tonight. What are your opinions on rustproofing/undercoating? Of course, the dealership wanted to sell a package. I asked for the contract and was not impressed by the lack of detail on paper. It seemed very vague on what is covered and how it would be covered. Any recommendations on products I can get to do it myself or is there any company that you can recommend to do it? I definitely do not want to use a rubberized undercoating. I did that once on a Monte Carlo I had and the frame rusted out in no time. Doing a little searching, it seems like the products sold by Carwell get good reviews

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I would go with a nationwide company like Ziebart that you know will be around for years to come.The success rate a lot depends on the one applying the product.Hit and missus ain,t gonna cut it.With the toxic soup on the roads today a good quality undercoating applied correctly will highly benefit your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,475 Posts
Bought a new car last year and had it ziebarted. Cost was $1k. Yearly touchups free, lifetime warranty on TREATED surfaces. IDK time will tell if it was worth it. BTW they do not drill holes in the panels to reach inside, as was done in the past

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm gonna get a gallon of fluid film and do the underside of my Tacoma this year. It's 50$ for a gal.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Bar and chain oil works wonders. Poured in doors, panels, brushed on etc....

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I picked up several cans of fluid film yesterday to get in the smaller places. Going to order a gallon or two of it for the larger areas and should have enough to do our other vehicles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They have a special sprayer. Apparently it's real thick. Like petroleum jelly thick. I've heard of ppl warming it up so it thins out and putting it in a spray bottle. I've also heard of ppl brushing it on. My buddy has the spray gun for it so when I do mine I'm gonna borrow his.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
This is my second year using fluid film on my wife and i's vehicles. I use a cheap siphon sprayer from
Home Depot and spray it on. It is thicker, but not too much more than a heavy latex paint. I find it works extremely well and lasts the entire year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts