The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has paid for their truck to be undercoated? Is it worth the cost and does it work?

·
Registered
624 Posts
With all the garbage they put on the road in the winter time,I definitely think some extra protection is needed. I just traveled to Vermont and had my new Gmc 2500 Waxoyled. I am really happy with the job done. They treat the body panels and everything underneath. Waxoyl is used by alot of the Range Rover guys. It was $1000.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
winchester-only said:
You can save urself a lot of money by doing it ur self that's what I did
I put 4 - 5 cans of spray on undercoat on the bottom of my '93 Jimmy AKA 'rustbucket' and I found that the high grass in the center of gated SFL roads rubbed it off...

·
Registered
539 Posts
it all depends on WHAT type of coating you do, and WHEN you get it on
if its a used truck, you are too late to do any REAL good
you will just trap crap in between the metal and coating
the time to do it is when its NEW before it even gets wet!

the ral problem happens when there are nooks and cracks in corners and such that get missed, and then salt water from road salt finds its way in, water dry's and salt stays and eats away at metal
so the coating itself can TRAP water/salt behind it and still rust your metal away
it can help slow things down, BUt its not a sure saver in any way shape or form
rinse the under carriage well often in winter time and spring, and park it some place where its NOT over moisture all the time, like a cement pad or the likes
parking over gravel or dirt or grass, will cause more rust to form as that stuff hold nothing but moisture?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The old timers would spray the frames with motor oil and diesel fuel mix.After that they drove in a dusty field to make it stick.
Do a search,some still do it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I paid to have a used truck rustproofed, it looked nice the first year then moisture spread underneath the coating and rusted out the whole truck. Local junkyard gave me $300 for it. Check out Krown Rustproofing it is more like an oil, I think it is a good product.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
I wish I had my 3/4 ton Chevy done. It's a 2012. It was my work truck, got to keep it when I retired in 2013. The frame has a lot of rust. The body itself is not my big concern, it's the under carriage. Took it to a shop, said everything would need brushed/ sandblasted, and even then couldn't guarantee the results. I'd like to keep this truck a while, as I only use it to pull the boat or when I haul something in bed. It has 50,000 on it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Having it done is better that nothing but its better to do when new.
All the trucks I order for work I get undercoated. Once rust starts even if you wire brush it clean it is still embedded in the metal and all the undercoat will do then is hide the rust till its bad.
With our trucks being on job-sites and plowing and salting in the winter the rust is incredible.
My truck gets traded in after it hits 50K and before they were traded, my 09, 11, and 12 F-350 needed brake lines replaced.
Now when we order new, we specify undercoating before delivery to us.
Most of the rust is on frame parts, never have I found rust in wheel wells or body even the on the ones we hung onto till almost 100 K.

The rust really becomes a factor when trading them in.
For just a leisure truck I would not be as cautious but something your going to put in salt water launching a boat or plowing salting or being in mud its worth the cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts