The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know it's terrible expensive but what makes this stuff so special? Do you think it's worth the price?
Does it really keep you warm?

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Not to the extent, that Under Armour wants you to believe..

I sold all my layering gear and outer wear from U/A and bought Sitka gear..

Sitka Geat is <span style="color: #FFCC00">very</span> expensive, BUT it's by far a much better product...Warm, light weight, and it doesn't leak !!

www.sitkagear.com</span>

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I bought the white under armor, made me look like the michelin man, and made me itch.

In all honesty, for the price of two sets of that stuff, I bought two 'lil buddy heaters, and it keeps us all warm. My personal preferance. Plus you can toast a samich when things go slow....

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Nothing, No & No

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I do use the cold gear and I think it works, but not alone. You still have to layer, but not as much. When you get the cold gear it should be snug . . . real snug. It works on compression.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Fly Guy said:
I do use the cold gear and I think it works, but not alone. You still have to layer, but not as much. When you get the cold gear it should be snug . . . real snug. It works on compression.
redheadsfish said:
Under Armour hoodies are the best thing that they make. very comfortable, very warm and even water resistant
What they said.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Well worth the monies. I have two pair and use them if not every other day during our cold months. You will notice a difference one day that you don't wear them. They deff keep your body heat close to you and retain it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have an Under Armour base layer shirt. It does keep me warmer, but like some have said, not alone. I have found that if it is exposed to the open air, it actually makes my arms colder (I hunt the early season with just a t-shirt and fleece vest over my Under Armour).
Last Christmas I received U.A. gloves, beanie, and socks. I LOVE the gloves and beanie. They are both light weight (the gloves are actually listed as liners) and just as warm as any other brands bulkier gloves and beanies. The beanie is also great because being light weight it doesn't muffle my hearing like a knit cap beanie does.
The socks are just so so. I'm nit real impressed with them. But I have always had trouble keeping my feet warm. Seems to be the only spot that no matter what I do get cold. Thank goodness for Hot Hands insoles when it's real cold out!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I thought the advantage was it didn't retain water or sweat and kept your skin dry when allowed to wick away. If you have trapped moisture, like in a boot or wader, it doesn't work well, not in my experience. Any synthetic base layer works with the same properties i believe.as long as it isn't cotton, I'm usually good.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
To the OP I don't know if you're talking about the base layers or outer garments. But for the base layers which I think UA is more commonly known for, I don't think there is a lot of performance difference between the different products, polypropylene, thermax, UA, or the other proprietary brand names. But whatever you use you need to use the most appropriate grade and have the right fit for it to work as advertised. Any of the wicking products need to fit skin tight. If it don't it won't work. Having it tight against the skin serves 2 purposes, wicks all the moisture away avoiding the cooling effect of evaporation and getting that wet clammy feeling, it also prevents most air circulation at the skin level, again to slow down evaporative cooling.

Different grades do it at different levels. A light grade will wick away the moisture while allowing a level of air circulation at the skin level with no insulative effect. It can actually give you a cooler feeling in warm weather because you don't feel clammy. Expedition grades wick the moisture, reduce skin level air flow, and also insulate against heat loss. These are the best for just sitting in the cold.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
nothing,no,no, tried it before and there is nothing special that separates it from regular layering or well built jackets. remember your buying the name

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've tried it and another companies products. No advantage in my opinion. I have worn regular long underwear for close to 50 years and never died, lost any appendages or froze to death and stayed comfortable

And I've spent a lifetime working outdoors in the worst extremes from freezing to heat, haven't seen a plus and actually quit using it. I wear long sleeve t-shirts, yep cotton and love it even framing in the winter.

All this aside I have suffered frost bite on my fingers more than once but underwear won't stop that! LOL Welcome to working in the worst you can imagine.

Overpriced gimmicks I call them but many like them and swear by them. That's why there is chocalate and vanilla!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Just remembered this, if you're looking for one of the warmest underwear out there, there is a brand that is 100% US made right in Allentown that is just EXCELLENT. I've worn this 24/7 living out of a small tent in the very high arctic, -40 ambient temps and up to 60mph wind on a snowmachine travelling about 50 mi/day. I forget about it because I just don't wear it here. But it certainly would be an excellent choice here if you're prone to cold because it is so light and comfortable, you just wouldn't need a parka over it.

This wicks excellently and has a LOT of features, one piece cuts down on drafts, foot stirrups, thumb loops, rear flap. It's VERY comfortable. If you decide to go this route give her a call for sizing, it needs to fit tight to the skin.

Listen to the audio track here:
http://www.davissportswear.com/index.php

And to the above poster, yes of course good underwear will prevent frostbite in the extremities. The reason you get frostbite in places like fingers is that when the body core temp drops it restricts blood flow to the extremities because the blood will get even colder. That is the body's defense, sacrifice the extremities to protect the core. If the core is warm even in the arctic you can work with just leather or liner gloves as long as your core is warm, your body transfers hot blood out to the fingers and toes in an attempt to keep the core cool. Cool off the core and remove your mittens even with liners on and you can feel the frostbite setting in even within seconds.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I use UnderArmour and think it is worth every penny. I'd rather spend a little extra now and have it last for years.

·
Registered
728 Posts
What under armour are you talking about. The Cold Gear to wear as a base layer? If so, then yes it well worth the money. But try to get it on sale. Being a base layer you want it to be snug. The #1 thing about UA is that it wicks moisture from your body. So if you have on several layers, and begin to sweat, it will keep your body dry and the next layer will get wet.
It doesn't really work alone. Wind will rip right though it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have UA Coldgear it seems to work. I also have Terramar, too. I like it slit and its no where near as expensive.

Here's a tip boys ......... shop at TJ Max for you UA and Terramar. Super cheap. Just bought a UA coldgear top for $24.99.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts